DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I think my swimming pool pumped that is plugged into thine of my garage outlets fried today. It's no longer working and now I'm having other electrical issues. My air conditioner was running when the surge occurred and now whenever I turn on my ac, my directv receiver resets. I went outside tonight and turned the lights on in the garage and the lights inside my house dimmed and my directv reciever reset again. There is a box in the garage that has two bigger black switches and four glass fuses. None of the circuit breakers inside the house are tripped. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Did you disconnect the pump or at least pull the breaker or fuse that powers it?
Not sure how anyone on line is going to be of much help on this one.
With old outdated wiring like that it could very well have burned up the wiring.
Call in a pro, not a friend of a friend that has changed his own outlets before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my pool pump plugged into the garage and I noticed that one of the glass fuses in the fuse box was burned out. Would that cause any problems on the inside of the house. The garage has a glass fuse box and the inside has a curcuit breaker box.

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
This is going to be a total guess. There isn't much to go off of, but it seems you might have lost one leg of the service. Since you called an electrician...what did he say?

Yeah, the inside very well could be on that fuse in the garage. However, if you have a detached garage, I doubt it.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I agree with KBuz.
Since it is two days later, and this is not something you are likely to troubleshoot yourself, and you are still here asking questions, I'll ask: What did your electrician say? :whistling2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an electrician that did previous wiring for me and he's not available until monday. I was just trying to figure something out before then. I know it's a shot in the dark to be asking these questions online but I was hoping someone had an idea. When I turn on the lights in the garage, it also trips my directv receiver so I'm going to replace that fuse in the garage today and see what happens. Should I shut the power off inside the house at the breaker box before screwing in the new fuse in the garage?

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I have an electrician that did previous wiring for me and he's not available until monday. I was just trying to figure something out before then. I know it's a shot in the dark to be asking these questions online but I was hoping someone had an idea. When I turn on the lights in the garage, it also trips my directv receiver so I'm going to replace that fuse in the garage today and see what happens. Should I shut the power off inside the house at the breaker box before screwing in the new fuse in the garage?
Is the fuse bad?
Do you even have a tester?
DO NOT GO NEAR ANYTHING LIVE!!

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Earlier today I think my swimming pool pumped that is plugged into thine of my garage outlets fried today.
Look for a voltage change in that outlet while you plug in a toaster or hair dryer. More than a 3v drop, like from 120v to less than 117v, probably means a bad connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts