DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How high does an electrical panel need to be off the floor. I know the max height to the shut off breaker is 6ft 7 inches. But how low can the panel be?

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
How high does an electrical panel need to be off the floor. I know the max height to the shut off breaker is 6ft 7 inches. But how low can the panel be?
there is no minimum required height. If the floor is where it might get wet, the inspector would probably require it be raised to prevent water intrusion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I did read that somewhere but I needed to be sure. I am in Canada. Would that be the same here? Once again, thank you so much for the quick post.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Canada?

That one I can't answer. There are a couple of your brethren that post here regularly so keep an eye on the thread. Hopefully they will respond with an answer that is applicable to Canada.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Canada?

That one I can't answer. There are a couple of your brethren that post here regularly so keep an eye on the thread. Hopefully they will respond with an answer that is applicable to Canada.
I certainly will. Once again, Thanks so much.

·
Wire Chewer
3,579 Posts
I think someone here had posted a pic where their panel was like a foot off the ground.

I think it's more a thing of common sense. I would put it at eye level for ease of access and minimize the risk of water. Ex: you drop a bucket of water on the ground, if the panel is right on the ground it could splash right on the panel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly understand where your comming from. I have 70 feet from my house to shed. A friend of mine gave me 80+ Ft of Tech90 Armored cable. I have the cable ran from the house to the shed. I was hoping to get this in at eye level but the cable wasn't long enough :0(. Could I put a junction box in at the 2 foot level and run wire then to the panel? Could I store the under my bench in a cabinet? What are the options other than purchasing a brand new run to the shed.

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I could run the wire into the shed, let it Stop at 3 ft, "Where it currently stops" Then put in a juntion box or something to join extra wire and bring it up to the panel, perhaps I can then get the panel to eye level?

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
IN THE US you could do as you suggest. Again, I don't know Canadian code but it does appear to be very similar to ours in many cases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts