DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new electrical oven that comes with a 3 pronged power cord. The original oven was hard wired. The power cord is hooked up to the oven, so that end of it is ready. My question is - what exactly do I need to hook up the oven to electricity?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Only if it is an existing run. New pull I would say that it would fall under the new NEC rules. My dryer is still 3-wire, and was that way when we moved in eight years ago. One of the last things on my list to change over, after I get the kitchen finished some time next year.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well, considering it was previously hard-wired I would think that the addition of a receptacle might make it a new install, but I suppose the opposite could be true since the wiring is existing and not being changed.

Which article covers these installs?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
If they hard wire the stove, either way it is the same if you have to replace an outlet. Code violalatio, would be if the local states that since the stove is new to the facility, they would have to bring up to newest code, but that is far fetched.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
What is the NEMA configuration of the cord? Care to upload a pic?

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That is not an oven.... it is a range, there is a difference.
That range is not supplied with a cord so someone, probably where you purchased it, added the cord.
This project may be outside your skills....
My mistake. I tend to say oven rather than range. The cord was a required purchase with the range and was connected by the deliverers. They couldn't do a complete install due to the hardwiring invovled.

In any event, I'm aware it's outside of my skills. I just need to know what hardware I need. I have a friend coming over to help with it. He'll be doing the heavy lifting, so to speak. Just looking for any insight beforehand.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
You will need to determine what wires are currently in the box. Are there three wires or four? How was the old range wired?
Do you know if the box is properly grounded?
You will need two hots and a neutral for the range to work. It is possible that the old range didn't require a neutral so you may not have a neutral.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts