DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told i might want to re-post this question here.

we are having a granite backsplash installed (along w/ the countertops), they made templates, and marked where existing outlets are on the old wall.

i am doing the electrical work.

my question. how do i raise the outlets so they are flush w/ the new backsplash? the granite is the 3cm variety, so they need to be moved out 3cm to be flush. after they finished the template, i asked the installers, and he simply said "longer switchplates screws", w/o really thinking i agreed. but that would leave the actual recepticals 3cm behind the switchplates.

any walkthroughs? or advice?

·
Registered
107 Posts
The ears of your outlets should catch on the granite just as they do on the sheetrock wall. Just get longer 6/32 screws. If the ears don't catch you'll need to use a stand-off, or a nut on the back of the screws.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Longer screws alone are NOT a safe and legal option. You must have an extension of some sort.

·
7,829 Posts
Sparky Joe said:
but is it done every day of the week, yes, and is it dangerous, no.
Not by me it's not. And YES, it can be dangerous.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree it can be dangerous around combustible materials, such as paneling or plywood, but with the granite I would just get longer screws.

As for the standoffs I like using 1/4" pex tubing, its free from the plumbers and can be cut to any length, and is also very rigid.

·
7,829 Posts
Sparky Joe said:
I agree it can be dangerous around combustible materials, such as paneling or plywood, but with the granite I would just get longer screws.
Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts