DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As shown in the picture I have this box of splices wires that I cant tell what they are for. Its in the garage behind a wall with outside light fixture that I'm assuming its for because I was never able to get it to work. Any idea on how I can try get this wired correctly?

Attachments

·
Registered
appliances
3,159 Posts
First step:
Turn off all breakers, measure voltage from a known good ground to each wire to confirm it is at zero volts, then check for zero ohms to look for ground & neutral conductors.
Use an extension cord & alligator clips as test leads.

·
Super Moderator
22,731 Posts
Figure out which circuit it is on. Turn off the breaker. Disconnect the two black wires. Turn on breaker and see what doesn't work.
It looks like a simple pass through. Can't be much wrong except a loose connection.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Most likely, it used to be the switch that controlled the outside light.

And then, the last guy replaced the outside light with a dusk-dawn or motion sensor light.

And got rid of the switch because it's not needed anymore.

And then, that light failed.

First thing I would do is leave the black-black connected, and then go up and service the outside light. Measure if power is reaching it. And if so, repair it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Info is a bit vague.
Two cables in box. Black and white in each.
One cable is live.
Other cable feeds power to a light fixture.
As wired, black to black capped and white to white capped should have light lit always.
A switch in between the 2 blacks would provide on/off capability.
If light not lit now, circuit is dead or bulb is blown.
As joed mentions, dead circuit could be dead because of a loose connection before it gets to this box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts