DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, New to this forum. So I am redoing the kitchen in my house. About a month ago I removed the upper cabinets (we are replacing with shelves) and their was a I think an electrical outlet directly above one of the cabinets so I decided to Cap off the wires and just stick it in the wall and drywall over it. Now some outlets directly beneath it dont work. So I want to get everything back to normal, problem is I dont remember how this was wired. Should've taken pics before removing. :vs_mad: So below are some pics of the electrical box that I had pushed inside the wall and patched over, and what may be the outlet that was their but not sure. Maybe you guys can tell what was there and how it is wired. Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
1. You can not conceal a junction box. They must remain accessible. Reason: how would the next guy know where to find this box to solve the problem. It is also code.

2. The only way to find out is to test the wires. It appears to be wired correctly. Perhaps the movement simply broke one of the connections inside the wire nuts.

Here is what it looks like. A feed through connection with pig tails to the outlet. That means 3 wires from the source feeding 3 wires out to the next location. The pig tails should be removed and all the wires should be securely wire nutted to their proper mate.

If the wiring is correct black to black, white to white and bare to bare. Testing is the only way to determine this.

Reactions: Jim Port

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
In the US and Canada you can't shove an unused and connected wire into a wall and bury it . It has to be in exposed junction box with a cover . The proper way to do this is cut a hole in the drywall , retrieve the wire and install an electrical work box and leave the wire there. You can cover with a blank (solid ) switch plate . Likely that was a pass through device and the outgoing circuit is no longer connected. Once you retrieve the wires connect the hots together and wire but, likewise with the neutrals and grounbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So its a junction box. Ill just get everything back to how it was originally and take it from their. Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts