DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Licensed Electrician
4,352 Posts
Losing a ground will have no effect on the circuit working properly. We are talking about the neutral/grounded conductor/return path.

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
Lot's of non electrical folks use 'ground' when the really are talking about 'neutral'

Especially young folks like Jim who like to work on hot rods---

Reactions: BigJim

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Lot's of non electrical folks use 'ground' when the really are talking about 'neutral'

Especially young folks like Jim who like to work on hot rods---
There is a big differnce on how it used so read below for answer.

That's unfortunate. :( There is a BIG difference.
As Speedy Petey expand this part I will keep it very short et sweet.,,

Netural : Current carry conductor

Ground : NON curent carry conductor it used for protection and for fault condtions to assit the OCPD ( overcurrent protection device like breaker or fuse ) that about it.

Merci,
Marc

Reactions: oh'mike

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I always say, it does not matter that they are connected to the same bar(s) in the panel. It's what they do, and their intended purpose once they leave that matters!

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
There is a big differnce on how it used so read below for answer.

As Speedy Petey expand this part I will keep it very short et sweet.,,

Netural : Current carry conductor

Ground : NON curent carry conductor it used for protection and for fault condtions to assit the OCPD ( overcurrent protection device like breaker or fuse ) that about it.

Merci,
Marc
For us non electrician ole nail whoopers would one of you answer this. I have always wondered why the ground and neutral or common wire connects to the same thing in the breaker box if they don't do the same thing? :)

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Because from the panel back to the utility meter the neutral serves as both the ground and the neutral. Basically, from the main panel/disconnect back, there is no ground.
You also have to remember that grounding electrodes, and the dirt they are pounded into, have no relevance to the equipment ground in the circuits in the house.

Reactions: frenchelectrican

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
I thought I had a slight handle on electricity but now know I don't know as much as I thought I did. This is really interesting, I will be trying to learn more about this. I will probable start another thread a little later.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts