DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following setup with my lighting and ceiling fans and I'm trying to figure out how to properly set things up:

I have 3 switch boxes in my home that I'm looking to fix:
1. 3 switch box outside patio area
2. 3 switch box inside living room leading to patio area
3. 3 switch box inside bedroom leading to patio area

2 of the switches work fine and control the lighting that I need it to control, however, 1 of the switches controls 3 junction boxes outside underneath my patio. I recently installed 2 new flush mount halo lights (junction box setup), and installed a dimmer switch to control both lights from the 1 switch mentioned above. However, I recently installed a ceiling fan to the 3rd junction box, and just realized that the 1 switch now controls my 2 halo lights and also my ceiling fan. At first my ceiling fan was not working because the dimmer switch was low, but after raising it to the top, my ceiling fan started working. Ok, so now my 2 lights and ceiling fan work if my dimmer switch is set to the top, but I'm trying to separate the ceiling fan from the 2 lights. Unfortunately, there seems to be one hot (black) wire that runs through the ceiling fan junction box and now that box has 3 black, white, and green wires connected through there. If I leave the 1 hot wire loose, my 2 lights turn off and my ceiling fan will not work, but once I connect the other 2 wires to the black hot wire then both lights and ceiling fan works. At this point, is there anything I can do to separate the ceiling fan from the 2 lights based on my setup? Some additional information is that there is an identical ceiling fan next to the one spoken about above that runs on its own dedicated switch. My thought was to run the ceiling fan wire that's connected to the 2 lights, and run it to the ceiling fan that works on its own. This would allow me to install the ceiling fan control to that 1 switch and adjust the speed simultaneously to both ceiling fans.

Sorry for the drawn out question, but I'm trying to think of different scenarios that would work with my issue. Also don't want to create any fire hazards, etc...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
One way or another, you need to get a switched hot up to the ceiling fan. That switched hot cannot go to any other fixture if you want the fan to operate independently of other lights and/or fans.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dmxtothemax, jeffmattero76, and joed. I'm going to end up buying a 14/2 wire and running it from the fan connected with the 2 lights and linking it up with the individual fan so I can control both fans from one control switch. Wish me luck lol :vs_bulb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.