DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Canada here, wondering if I am able to tack electrical wire to the bottom of the joists to run pots lights (gonna have enough space with drop ceiling...or do I have to drill into the floor joists and then run the wiring?

Thanks!

·
Registered
160 Posts
i wouldn't tack to the bottom of the joists, its just more open to damage from screws etc... if you really want to clip instead of drill do it on the side of the joists. it needs to be clipped within a foot of every box and every 5 feet therafter. Honestly though, go buy a good 3/4 inch spade drill bit and you'll be done in no time. i find it faster than clipping and you can run multiple cables through the hole you drill.

·
Just call me Andrew
2,279 Posts
In the US, it's perfectly fine to tack to the bottom of joists (without a running board) if you have a dropped ceiling. I'd do that rather than drilling holes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yes tacking to the bottom is fine with a drop ceiling, i was just thinking is there ALWAYS going to be a drop ceiling there. if its ever decided to put up gyp, there maybe be more work than necessary involved with possibly relocating cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts