DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single gang box that measures 3x2.5x2" which gives a volume of 15 cubic inches.

The volume required for 14 AWG conductor is 2 cubic inches. If I have a simple case of 14/2 going in and 14/2 going out, with 1 switch and 1 clamps, I get a volume of 16 cubic inches:

4 conductors = 8 cubic inches
1 clamps = 2 cubic inches
1 device = 4 cubic inches
1 ground = 2 cubic inches

These 15 cubic inch boxes are pretty common but it seems you can only get one 14/2 wire into this box. What do electricians do when they need to have one 14/2 wire in and one 14/2 or even two 14/2 out on a single gang? What happens if you need to bump up the gauge to 12/2 or you have a 3-way switch and need to use a 14/3 wire with a 14/2?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a single gang box that measures 3x2.5x2" which gives a volume of 15 cubic inches.

The volume required for 14 AWG conductor is 2 cubic inches. If I have a simple case of 14/2 going in and 14/2 going out, with 1 switch and 1 clamps, I get a volume of 16 cubic inches:

4 conductors = 8 cubic inches
1 clamps = 2 cubic inches
1 device = 4 cubic inches
1 ground = 2 cubic inches

These 15 cubic inch boxes are pretty common but it seems you can only get one 14/2 wire into this box. What do electricians do when they need to have one 14/2 wire in and one 14/2 or even two 14/2 out on a single gang? What happens if you need to bump up the gauge to 12/2 or you have a 3-way switch and need to use a 14/3 wire with a 14/2?

Thanks.

You need a 2 3/4" deep box to use two 14/2 Romex cables. Many codes ago the devices were not counted for box fill and a 2.5" gem box was fine for a cable in/cable out wiring scheme.

If you can only use a 2.5" box, then get one with 1/2" knockouts and use a Romex connector. They do not take up any box fill.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,676 Posts
Are you measuring the box and calculating the size? You should use the size printed on the box.

BTW, that hub/spoke wiring you mentioned is the worst wiring method. More splices in places you don't want to be working.

Reactions: SandyKim

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Would the other scheme be something like hub and spoke? For example, a junction box in say the crawlspace with one in and say 5 out?

Thanks everyone for quick responses!
I agree with RJ. Avoid junction boxes in far off places if you can. Is there some reason why you can't use bigger outlet boxes? Or do you have a bunch of 2.5" gem boxes that you want to get rid of?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with RJ. Avoid junction boxes in far off places if you can. Is there some reason why you can't use bigger outlet boxes? Or do you have a bunch of 2.5" gem boxes that you want to get rid of?
I purchased new boxes - 18.5 cu for single gang and 15 cu for gangable boxes.

I am using 12 AWG. Say I have a 3-way light switch. So 2 conductors in and 3 conductors out. And additional 2 conductors out to power the next unrelated switch. When I do the math, the 18.5 cu box is not big enough for 2 clamps, 1 device, 1 ground and 7 conductors.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

I am using 12 AWG. Say I have a 3-way light switch. So 2 conductors in and 3 conductors out. And additional 2 conductors out to power the next unrelated switch. When I do the math, the 18.5 cu box is not big enough for 2 clamps, 1 device, 1 ground and 7 conductors.
Use 4" square boxes with mud rings or 3.5" gem boxes.

·
Super Moderator
15,785 Posts

Correct, the box is still too small. The clamps count as one volume. a device counts as two volumes.

·
Super Moderator
22,753 Posts
Your figures are incorrect unless BC uses different number than Ontario.
Clamps don't count but wire nuts do If you have two or more.
Grounds don't count.

#14 = 1.5 ci
#12 = 1.75 ci

My count
4 conductors - 6 ci
1 switch - 3 ci.
Guess one wire nut for neutral = 0 count.
0 count for ground.

You need a 9 ci box.

According to table 23 a 3x2x2.5 box can take 8 #14 conductors. Your count is only at 6. You are fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts