DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just discovered BIG problem. I have Hotpoint rb525 electric stove with spiral burner elements: one of the top spiral elements just BURNED- literally- sparks started to come out! i turned the everything of, unpluged it, when it cooled down i removed burned element properly- plugged back the stove, turned it on and nothing was working!!!!:( none of the top burners wouldn't heat up at all. the oven - you can feel the slight warmth but it will not deliver normal heat and would not turn red as usual......
BIG problem in my house- maybe you guys have any suggestions.. i am thinking to replace the burner element- but not sure if it will solve a problem.

Thank you all for your time!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would change the one Shorted element to start with. Then check the other elements with an ohm meter. Be sure to replace elements with same wattage rated element. Then check the infinite (on/off control) switches for each of the other elements with the ohm meter. Sounds like one element shorted out and sent a surge through the other element/switches and knocked one side out not letting enough power to the elements to fully heat.

Will the others partially heat individually, or do they all have to be on? They all act the same?

I put the wrong element in one once and they all had to be on to get any to work. The only think I could figure they only getting power through the indicator light.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts