DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to get a new range tomorrow and need to address and re-run the circuit for the outlet. Currently, whomever installed it used a flush mount outlet that is not really affixed to anything and the wire is up through the floor.

I have the ability and room to move to a flush mount in the wall. I was wondering, though, since I see so many more (it seems) mentions of using flush mount outlets, is this preferred for some reason, or is it more preferred because it is easier/less challenging and since it is hidden, it is no big deal?

I'm thinking flush is probably preferable/cleaner, but many people don't do it because it can be a pain. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Flush mount is done on new work... surface is mostly done on old work because it's easier. Although most ranges have ample room in back to accommodate the surface mounted receptacle, that isn't necessarily true all the time. It's a good idea to check what you're buying to see if it has an indented area for the receptacle to be located... some do.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flush mount is done on new work... surface is mostly done on old work because it's easier.
I understand that, but this is why I am asking the question. While I didn't mention it specifically, I was saying that I could do it either way. The reason is because I will be remodeling the kitchen, including removing/replacing the drywall so I wouldn't have an issue putting in a flush mount. That's why I was asking which is the more preferred option when it is possible to do flush mount. I assume flush mount is best if it can be done, but wanted to be sure there wasn't some sort of standard procedure or preference in general that I may not have known about. Thanks!

·
Naildriver
12,112 Posts
I don't think there is a preference. If you desire to have it flush and can do it with open walls, then it takes up less space. Just make sure it is low on the wall so the plug won't interfere with the flushness of the stove.

·
Super Moderator
14,495 Posts
Surface mount gives more options as to where the receptacle can be located. I typically install surface mounted on the floor once I see where the stove allows space.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
As stated, be sure to download the installation specs as to location required. I install a lot of high end ranges which are very specific down to the inch. Flush mount is always nicer looking, but only you will know since it is out of sight. No electrical differences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts