DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,971 Posts
To clarify the reason for not liking how the shed power was done, we are only saying that the normal way to do it is to run large feeder (circuit) to the shed to a sub panel. From there you have individual circuits. The code says, or did say, only 1 circuit or multiwire circuit (2 hots and 1 shared neutral) to the shed.
You are not going to burn down the shed the way it is done, just more restricted on available power and not the way it is usually done.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think we might be having a failure to communicate. Three "wires" can be different than three 'circuits'. Photos may help.
I can't get over there to take pics any time soon.
But 3 new 20 amp circuit breakers in the panel. All 3 are running new 12/2 Yellow Romex running to the other side of the house.
(1 of which is for the 220V heat)
On the side of the house. those 3 romex's go through the wall into a box. from the box he ran a bunch of single stranded wire to the shed in water tight pvc conduit.
He has not installed it yet. But said he will be running those wires to a box on the shed.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To clarify the reason for not liking how the shed power was done, we are only saying that the normal way to do it is to run large feeder (circuit) to the shed to a sub panel. From there you have individual circuits. The code says, or did say, only 1 circuit or multiwire circuit (2 hots and 1 shared neutral) to the shed.
You are not going to burn down the shed the way it is done, just more restricted on available power and not the way it is usually done.
Got it. Thank you.
I am assuming he didn't put in a sub panel in the shed was to save me money?

· Registered
7,226 Posts
Got it. Thank you.
Probably not.
He did it because he didn't know how to do it correctly.
A larger feeder, a sub panel just may have been cheaper than the extra circuits he ran.....which won't satisfy code.
But since it is in conduit.....it can be fixed (done correctly).
That will open up a lot of possibilities for lighting, outlets and heat.
Perhaps he can correct the electric first.....on his dime.

· Registered
15,854 Posts
In a wood working shop there is often a warning . If it gets to a hi enough dust density point occupants will develop a cough but usually don't connect with the reason . Those shop dangers of explosion are un-heard of but i suppose it's possible .

· Registered
15,854 Posts

· Registered
8,930 Posts
This control and a heater like this for $29.99
View attachment 722264
is what i'll heat my shop with: :rolleyes:
That handles the remote control portion, but doesn't address the OP's desire to be able to see what the temperature in the shed is and set the thermostat remotely. For about the same total cost, there's a couple of the smart, WiFi-connected space heaters I linked to that do all of that.

· Registered
29,889 Posts
View attachment 722264
I received a shock with that one. The metal heater.

· Registered
15,854 Posts
That handles the remote control portion, but doesn't address the OP's desire to be able to see what the temperature in the shed is and set the thermostat remotely. For about the same total cost, there's a couple of the smart, WiFi-connected space heaters I linked to that do all of that.
Thanks for the info.
If it will turn it on and off remotely at the temperature i want that's all i need . I have a remote thermometer / humidity meter that'll tell me when .

Edit:
Failed to mention --- the heater has the stat needed to control the temperature .

· Ret. Elec. Contractor
728 Posts
Those shop dangers of explosion are un-heard of but i suppose it's possible .
We had a wiring job at a furniture factory where the 20' tall storage tank for the vacuum system blew up due to a spark in a faulty motor. The explosion fortunately was outdoors next to a concrete wall. People heard it from a mile away.

· Registered
7,709 Posts
Didn't save much money. 30A #10 copper is about the same price as 90A #2 aluminum, and at such large sizes, alumium is known to be reliable. With three #12, it was "six of one, half dozen of the other" costwise to go with 3 circuits vs #2 feeder + subpanel.

The only trick is that box with the splices where your buddy switched from Romex to THWN/XHHW individual wires. Your guy used 5 cent wire nuts. But there's no cheap option to splice #2 SER (indoor loose in walls) to #2 THWN/XHHW (outdoor/conduit). You're talking Polaris at $25 a pop x 4. There is no good option I'm aware of that will work both loose in walls and also outdoors in conduit.

He did it because he didn't know how to do it correctly.
A larger feeder, a sub panel just may have been cheaper than the extra circuits he ran.....which won't satisfy code.
But since it is in conduit.....it can be fixed (done correctly).
That will open up a lot of possibilities for lighting, outlets and heat.
Yes, to correct the faults, two things will be needed. #1 mandatory disconnects. at the entrance point to the shed, you'll need a 3-gang box (or two 2-gang boxes) and put 3 switches there all close together. The 120V lines can be 20A rated switches, the 240V line must be a 2-pole 20A rated switch.

#2 make "two 120V circuits to a shed" legal by making one of them a switched line, nominally for remote control of lights. The switch must be in the house.

In a wood working shop there is often a warning . If it gets to a hi enough dust density point occupants will develop a cough but usually don't connect with the reason . Those shop dangers of explosion are un-heard of but i suppose it's possible .
Are you kidding me? It's HUGE. USCSB (Chemical Safety Board) has dozens of accident breakdown videos on Youtube where people were totally oblivious to the risk.

It's usually a double explosion. Over years, dust accumulates on walls, ceiling and every nook and cranny, top of pipes, bottom of I-beams, you name it. The first explosion is limited but it throws a shock wave through the whole building. That shakes dust off all those places. Now dust is raining down in curtains throughout the building, you guessed it, a Much Larger explosion hits that does all the damage. If they had power-washed their walls, ceiling and nooks and crannies every evening the 2nd explosion would not have occurred. The survivors are always surprised that it could even happen.

With the dusty conditions any kind of heat scares hell outta me other than hot bricks for heat .
In other words, you don't want high-temperature heat sources. WELL... AHEM.

#1 the baseboard heaters OP already rejected are notorious for running cool because they have a huge surface area. They expect children to poke their fingers in there and are cool enough that's not a big problem. They will accumulate some dust but just blow them out every once in awhile with compressed air.

#2 the indoor unit on a mini-split heat pump is also gigantic, (because it must also work in A/C mode when temperature diff might only be 30 degrees, freon vs ambient) ... so it's only getting up to 140-160F, and can't get much hotter because of how freon works.

Of course everyone is recommending blower-driven fans with hot elements that glow cherry red. I guess if it's not glowing cherry red, it's not actually heating because God forbid we get useful heat from something that's only 140F.

It won't be that bad. Just a small Workshop in a 200 square foot shed. I've got doors windows
Not in heating season, you don't.

I received a shock with that one. The metal heater.
Coz they're junk. Bet it has a 2-prong plug also. 2-prong plug = metal case isn't grounded.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
View attachment 722264
I have one of those. It doesn't do much

21 - 40 of 40 Posts