DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know a sub 3000W electric heater to use for a 200 sqrft shed that I can also hook a smart thermostat up to?
Electrician ran a 12/2 out to the shed for a 220v heater. But some of the ceiling units like this are 4-5k W and require a 10/2 or 10/3.
Baseboard is not preferred because of risk of fire hazard (it's a work shop so lots of saw dust on the floor).
Looking for a heater like this. But if you have other ideas I'm open to them.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Flooring Hardwood

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Is this circuit ran to the shed the only power in there? He should have ran a feeder for a sub panel. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.
Getting a heater like that no more than 4000 watts (20 amps) is rare. You may have to get one with multiple wattages and set it to a lower setting.
I think there are line voltage smart thermostats, just haven't looked yet. There was a thread about one for a baseboard heater I believe.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this circuit ran to the shed the only power in there? He should have ran a feeder for a sub panel. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.
Getting a heater like that no more than 4000 watts (20 amps) is rare. You may have to get one with multiple wattages and set it to a lower setting.
I think there are line voltage smart thermostats, just haven't looked yet. There was a thread about one for a baseboard heater I believe.
He ran 3 lines there right from the breaker. 3 new circuits. One dedicated for the 220v heater. The other two for power and lights.
He said if I didn't find one made for a thermostat he'd have to add a relay. But the 10/3 cable was the bigger issue. Just now need to find a heater off a regular 12/2 wire.

· Registered
Building my last home
5,388 Posts
I beleive you are between a rock and a hard place. WIth out a neutral finding anything less than 3000 watt will be very hard. Based on 12 -2

· Registered
14,637 Posts
Search "bathroom ceiling heater" for small units. 1,500 w seems to be common but there were others.
Just a thought based upon the small size room.
Bud

· Usually Confused
10,534 Posts
Three circuits to a detached building. Hmmm. Is the shed at least insulated or are you planning on being the new bestest friend of the power company?

· Ret. Elec. Contractor
727 Posts
He ran 3 lines there right from the breaker. 3 new circuits. One dedicated for the 220v heater. The other two for power and lights.
Unless your jurisdiction has adopted the 2020 Code, it's against the NEC to run more than 1 feed to an outbuilding.
You have to 3 separate disconnects, in separate enclosures grouped together.

· Registered
7,226 Posts
I purchased one of those heaters as you posted in your first post.
In the installation instructions it tells you how to wire the heating elements.
You can reduce the heat output / wattage by changing the configuration.
I do not know if ALL of these types of heaters have that capability, but the one I purchased did.
MIne is a 5000 watt Farenheat with adjustable output from 1874 to 5000 watt with multiple setting between.
You can adapt it to your situation with little effort.

· Registered
7,709 Posts
Unless your jurisdiction has adopted the 2020 Code, it's against the NEC to run more than 1 feed to an outbuilding.
I wondered that myself. However you can skin it in there by having the lighting circuit switched from the house. Then you have 2 different voltages and 1 different usage. Receptacles are allowed on the lighting circuit.

Anyone know a sub 3000W electric heater to use for a 200 sqrft shed that I can also hook a smart thermostat up to?
Looking for a heater like this.
Make up your mind lol. Heaters like that are definitely not controllable by smart thermostats, they are just "dumb as a box of hammers" electrical heating grids with a clicky-clacky stat built into the unit.

I beleive you are between a rock and a hard place. WIth out a neutral finding anything less than 3000 watt will be very hard. Based on 12 -2
Mini-split heat pump. Costs more but you'll pay for that in a couple of winters by the greatly reduced electric bill. You can easily get models that will work as cold as your climate is... Chicago is easy.

However the electric bill will be higher in summer, because heat pumps include A/C :)

They make DIY units... Pioneer and a couple others if you can handle running an A/C vacuum pump (no worries, you will not be handling freon, just nitrogen) and MrCool for pre-charged lines that just snap together.

Things to shop for:

• cold weather performance
  • connection procedure (vacuum pump vs snap together)
  • smart connectivity (external 'stat support vs on-board smart 'stat)

They also make "window unit" A/Cs that are heat pumps and heat too. However their smartness may be hit or miss.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You have to 3 separate disconnects, in separate enclosures grouped together.
There's a 1" pvc conduit in the ground and he ran single stranded wires through it.
He wasn't supposed to do it that way??

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I purchased one of those heaters as you posted in your first post.
In the installation instructions it tells you how to wire the heating elements.
You can reduce the heat output / wattage by changing the configuration.
I do not know if ALL of these types of heaters have that capability, but the one I purchased did.
MIne is a 5000 watt Farenheat with adjustable output from 1874 to 5000 watt with multiple setting between.
You can adapt it to your situation with little effort.

That's great! Thank you. I will show it to him.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Make up your mind lol. Heaters like that are definitely not controllable by smart thermostats, they are just "dumb as a box of hammers" electrical heating grids with a clicky-clacky stat built into the unit.
Actually just looking to be able to look at my phone and see how cold it is in there.. Turn the heater on from my nice warm living room and then go work out there when it's warmed up. Smart thermostat only needs to turn the heater on and off.

· Usually Confused
10,534 Posts
Insulating it.
And kind of tough to run power tools, lights and heat off one circuit..
No its not; it just has to be sized properly and fed to a sub panel. Until Betelgeuse mentioned something about it now being apparently legal under NEC 2020, I thought it was prohibited (unless a MWBC).

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a box.
He ran 3 new 12/2 romex wires through the house. And then where it goes to the outside wall there's a box that connects them to all the single stranded wires that run to the shed.

· Usually Confused
10,534 Posts
I think we might be having a failure to communicate. Three "wires" can be different than three 'circuits'. Photos may help.

· Ret. Elec. Contractor
727 Posts
There is a box.
He ran 3 new 12/2 romex wires through the house. And then where it goes to the outside wall there's a box that connects them to all the single stranded wires that run to the shed.
I should been clearer and said "Not without a box on the shed before the disconnects to distribute it to the 3 separate disconnect enclosures"

1 - 20 of 40 Posts