DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to know if anybody has a suggestion for me to check my moms furnace it will trip soon as I flipped it back to the on position. I only flipped it once but there is a burnt electrical smell in the furnace its self but didn't trip the breaker on the furnace just breaker in the main breaker box. Advise on repairing would be appreciated.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Shut off the breaker in the panel box and remove the covers on the furnace and look for burnt wires. If you have experience using a electrical meter (ohms) we can walk you thru how to check if the elements are shorted. If not call a Pro or electrician.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm currently on my way home to grab my multimeter and tools. If possible could you tell me How to check the elements and maybe where they could be located inside the furnace? It will take me awhile to get back to her place.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Need to remove the front covers and they are inside. Can you take pics with your phone or a camera and post them here?

After 5 posts they allow that. May need to do that to be able to troubleshoot it properly. If you have a wifi laptop or she has a PC that would be better.

Very difficult to describe w/o pics.

There are sequencers/relays which turn on the elements. The elements have thick #10 or #12 wire going to them and have a white porcelain knob they attach to. The elements stick inside the furnace airflow area and the wires attach thru a sheet metal panel.

If you have a amprobe clamp meter than can check amps draw or borrow one you may need it to check if the elements are drawing current. Now it sounds like one is shorted to ground.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
AND due to every thing imaginable being on the net Google and BING : "How to check electric furnace heating element" and probably someone has made a video.

We can then help you better once you get there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.