DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened twice. The first time, I took the fireplace back to the sotre thinking it was defective. Label states auto shutoff- yes but- the outlet and wire brown and burnt. Second one purchased and used-auto shut off but same thing. I have to replace the outlet - and- this is a different outlet I used for the second time at this. Is there something that can be done at the electric box? Its not the fireplace that has the issue, so need to know how to make something "right" so I can use it again. Thanks, I don't want to burn my house down. Overall, are these things safe?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
20,943 Posts
The plug on the unit and the receptacle are not making good contact. That is causing it to overheat the plug. Replace the receptacle with new good quality one. Don't buy the 59 cent ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,467 Posts
First of all check that the current capacity of the outlet is not
being exceeded.
Check the current draw of the fireplace.

Now it is not unusual for recepticals and plugs to get
rather warm if they are running close to maximum capacity.

But if they are getting so hot that they burn,
then there is a problem.

First of all replace the receptical with a GOOD quality unit,
dirty contacts can cause overheating.

Also try a GOOD quality plug (heavy duty).
Dont scrimp here, buy the best quality.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top