DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone!
Contemplating installing one of those electric fireplaces in the wall that houses the tub. Unfortunately this location is the only large enough area for this fireplace appliance. However I’m concerned that it might be a real no-no when it comes down to a code violation but I’m not sure about it. The fireplace runs on 120VAC on a 20amp circuit breaker (I haven’t purchased the fireplace yet so I’m not real sure on the amperage it would draw). I would certainly put it on a GFCI since it would be within a foot or two of the tub faucet.
I don’t really see any serious water issue coming from any water splash from tub. It would be very unusual for any tub water to splash into fireplace since it is recessed into wall. I would be concerned that the possibly exists of one of the faucet pipe connections might leak sending water to the fireplace area....highly improbable but nonetheless possible.
So....does this whole fireplace install sound unsafe or can it be done with proper safeguards as mentioned above?
Thanks immensely for comments and advice!
Gary

Attachments

·
Usually Confused
9,155 Posts
If you can find one that is approved for a tub location, and if you have the clearance depth, then perhaps. It strikes me as an odd location. It might not be subject to splash, but you're liable to slop water on it when you exit the tub. I'm not that familiar with electric fireplaces, but if there is any heat, that's going to be pretty close to bare legs. I suppose I'm not getting the ambiance - you can't see it while chilaxing in the tub.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Lenaitch,
Good point about the bare legs touching hot panel but now that I think about it, I believe the heat is a forced fan air at either top or bottom of the insert. Not sure if glass ever gets hot or not.
The clearance is probably going to be the deal breaker. I suspect now that there is quite a lot of framing associated with the tub enclosure. I imagine the tiled wall has numerous vertical studs to support the weight of tub (unless tub is supported underneath). Cutting out the space for fireplace would probably weaken the top and end up causing it to crack and fall in. It’s a real mystery how the tub is actually framed in. There isn’t any real practical way to find that out without tearing into the tile...something that I’m not willing to gamble on just yet.
The whole purpose of the fireplace is to actually add some supplemental heat to bathroom when showering. Bath has 10ft ceiling and unfortunately bath is at the far end of our HVAC ductwork so it’s not getting decent heat that far away.
I had installed a 750watt infrared panel on ceiling but it turned out to be useless for warming shower area. So I’m trying to come up with another solution to warming bath without turning the house thermostat up to 85 degrees just to warm our bath. And I don’t like idea of plugging in a portable space heater because of poor esthetic ambiance not to mention a shock and trip hazard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.