DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a house build and I think they did something wrong. I am in wyoming not sure if this matters.

Basically in my finished basement, I have 2 Coaxial Cable jacks. Each on opposite sides of the wally. I was told that each cable jack needed to have its OWN INDEPENDENT CABLE routed to the outside (since thats where they all go.) Now... The 2 in the basement, meet up IN the basement, and connect to form 1.

So basically my basement is like this

OUTSIDE INPUT
|
|
|
SPLIT IN BASEMENT
| |
| |
Jack 1 Jack 2

Is this right? If what I was told is true, Jack 2 SHOULD have its own cable ran outside... It is so dumb that its 1 input, that the same SIGNAL goes to 2 outputs... Can't have Cable + Satellite at the same time down there its a joke.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Not sure what answer you are looking for. You have a basic setup. I would guess that there is a splitter at the end of the single IN line. When you had the house built did you specify you needed two separate cable systems?

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Unpredictable things can happen if you split a coaxial cable using a Y connector of some kind. Depending on the kind of signal (frequency band) involved, there can be severe loss in signal strength even if only one of the two branches is being used.

Coax cables in walls can end at wall jacks or can stick out of the wall and end in a plugs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah the IN line comes in from outside, and goes to my basement, hits a splitter and goes to 2 differen't ports. Sorry I thought it was in NEC, but I was told that each Coax port had to have its OWN independent line ran to the outside... and that is definately not the case here.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Sounds to me like you have some incorrect information. In my past three houses, I had cable TV. At my last house the cable came into the house and ended at a splitter. The outputs from the splitter went to the two bedrooms, the living room, the lower family room and my office. This provide cable TV and internet. We discontinued the cable service for because of price and quality. The internet went to DSL and the TV went to Dish. Dish brought in a new feed through the garage to the living room and Dish DVR. I back fed the second output from the DVR to the existing cable so I could have a second TV in any room that had a cable feed.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
In all reality, the indoor coax, should terminate in a central point inside, along with the telephone. Placing splitters outside can cause long term issues, especially with digital catv. Pull Coax for catv, telephone, ethernet (cat-5e or cat-6) at all points that you plan on putting a tv, or computer, because later on, you never know what the case may be if there will be a need for the use for that port. Then have all said terminate at the same location. For every 1 coax, there should be one telephone, and min. two ethernet. It is fine to put two coax, two telephone, and maybe four to six ethernet where you may have a home a/v with tv, especially if you have a hd set.

The cables can all be connected in a cabinet that is made to hold the splitters, switch for ethernet/lan, and telephone, or you can do patch panels for each that have the ability to allow you to make changes on the fly when needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To answer you question about there being a code for cable tv/ coaxial wiring i believe there is none, and it's not in the NEC. I've been in tons of houses where the main line comes into the house and connects to a splitter and branches of to other tvs. I don't see anything wrong with it, who told you your setup was wrong?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a house build and I think they did something wrong. I am in wyoming not sure if this matters.

Basically in my finished basement, I have 2 Coaxial Cable jacks. Each on opposite sides of the wally. I was told that each cable jack needed to have its OWN INDEPENDENT CABLE routed to the outside (since thats where they all go.) Now... The 2 in the basement, meet up IN the basement, and connect to form 1.

So basically my basement is like this

OUTSIDE INPUT
|
|
|
SPLIT IN BASEMENT
| |
| |
Jack 1 Jack 2

Is this right? If what I was told is true, Jack 2 SHOULD have its own cable ran outside... It is so dumb that its 1 input, that the same SIGNAL goes to 2 outputs... Can't have Cable + Satellite at the same time down there its a joke.
That is the basic no frills setup that should be run to a router or media center so you can distribute RG6/U and Cat. 5e or 6 through-out your dwelling. What did the contract have for the low voltage installation? BTW, the NEC only covers communication circuits and bonding of shielding that must be connected to the Intersystem Bonding Termination IBT outside. [250.94]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts