DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a traditional cement stucco exterior wall made of CMU. There is a wood door in the wall that i'd like to match exactly so that the door "disappears" in a sese, but i'm told the stucco on the door will surely crack by the opening and closing motion.

Maybe EIFS on the door but keeping the walls as cement stucco?

If i were to use EIFS (synthetic stucco) on the door, matching the color (basic white) and the texture, would there be an obvious difference between the two?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Stucco on a door is a bad idea. You would have four long edges that could let water in, EIFS is not tough enough to withstand the abuse that a door takes, EIFS is not tough enough to mount a doorknob and lock to, and the rough edges would not seal against a gasket, just for starters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses.

What if it is an electronically controlled garage door where the door is not touched and knob and handles are not present? Being in the S. Cal. moisture is not as much of an issue either.

Though again my question is: Will there be a clear, discernible difference between the cement stucco wall and the EIFS door?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Texture deference will depend on what texture is on the wall and the synthetic finish selected.
If the wall is a sand float texture there should be no problem matching the existing texture. If it is a heavy texture the synthetic product maybe very difficult to apply and match the wall. You can get a synthetic product that is free style but I would not recommend it for a door.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Most manufactures of the synthetic stucco products have finishes that are Acrylic based products.
If a high quality primer was used that will except an Acrylic finish than I would think that a Finish like STO with an aggregate of .75 or 1.0 would work fine.
Keep in mind that a synthetic stucco finish is like a very thick coat of paint.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
eifs won't but a garage door's different,,, syn or trad hardcoat adds weight,,, your ovhd door guy can use heavier springs,,, leave space so the different section's layer won't hit the adjacent & spall

1 - 10 of 10 Posts