DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Egress Window Questions?

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mt232 
#1 ·
I have asked a couple questions regarding egress windows.
I recently found a pamphlet from American Craftsman Windows. They have marked which windows comply with the 5.7 sq ft. rule for egress windows. They basically said that for a double hung to be egress it has be be 3 feet wide by 5 ft tall (give or take an inch or two)..and for casements the smallest egress is 28" wide by 48" tall.

So, my question is, Do you all have windows this large or larger in your bedrooms? I just can't believe that in every sleeping room you need windows this large. There is not a room in my house with windows like this. So do any of my bedrooms meet code?

#2 · (Edited)
I have asked a couple questions regarding egress windows.
I recently found a pamphlet from American Craftsman Windows. They have marked which windows comply with the 5.7 sq ft. rule for egress windows. They basically said that for a double hung to be egress it has be be 3 feet wide by 5 ft tall (give or take an inch or two)..and for casements the smallest egress is 28" wide by 48" tall.

So, my question is, Do you all have windows this large or larger in your bedrooms? I just can't believe that in every sleeping room you need windows this large. There is not a room in my house with windows like this. So do any of my bedrooms meet code?

Cibula,

Please review ALL of the site's information linked below. It is from a Minnesota, but the codes are based on the 2003 IBC. I think it will answer alot of your questions.

Click on this link:

http://www.dps.state.mn.us/fmarshal/FireCode/INS26EgressWindows.pdf

#3 ·
It is not the size of the window. It is the size of the opening for egress.

What was code in 1935? My house was built in 1999. The opening of the double hung windows is 30" wide by 26" high. Different years=different standards.

#5 ·
You said your house was built in 1935. It was built to 1935 standards. I have no idea if there even was a code for egress in 1935.

As you stated in your other thread on this exact same topic, you are making modiffcations today, therefore, your inspector has stated you need to get the windows you are going to replace up to today's code.

#7 ·
mt232 - I assume that is a local interpretation and not a national interpretation.

Usually, old window sizes can remain as-is including new slip in replacement wondows.

If you are doing remodeling or changing the use of an area to a living space (like finishing a bedroom in a basement), you must have at least one egress window in the room in addition to another exit like a hallway if it is not too long.

This is just a general opinion and there my be some local requirements that are more severe.

#8 ·
Section AJ401.2 of the 2006 IBC Residential Code states:

Door and Window Dimensions: Minor reductions in the clear opening dimensions of replacement doors and windows that result from the use of different materials shall be allowed, whether or not they are permitted by this code.

There is also a section (AJ102.4) that states: Regardless of the category of work, when an existing window, including sash and glazed portion is replaced, the replacement window shall comply with the requirements of Chapter 11 (Energy Efficiency).

If your inspector told you that you need to bring your windows up to current code, this may have been what he was referring to (energy efficiency). The size does not need to be in accordance with this code, you just cannot drastically reduce the size. Maybe if you site the code section above to them, they may approve whatever it is they are denying you.

People tend to use the terms interchangably, but you should listen to your code reviewer, not the inspector. That being said, you do not want to anger the inspector. I had an inspector that did not understand the code and I had to go back to the reviewer for clarification.

I would also recomend another window manufacturer. I had bad luck with the American Craftsman windows. Mine were rather large and that was alot of the problem, but they sure did give me a hard time.

edit: The IBC is the most common code. I do not know what code you fall under, but most residential codes are based off of the IBC.

#9 ·
OK, I just went back a read the other thread about these windows.

The home inspectors opinion does not matter. Replacement windows are fine as long as they met code for energy efficiency. I don't think there are really windows made today that would not meet efficiency ratings.

#10 ·
I guess the "changing space" is where it gets fuzzy. The current attic space was a bedroom, but with old and ugly paneling. I have upgraded to drywall. The room was a bedroom and used as one. I just have the opportunity to make some decisions now and don't want to choose the wrong one.

#11 ·
I guess the "changing space" is where it gets fuzzy. The current attic space was a bedroom, but with old and ugly paneling. I have upgraded to drywall. The room was a bedroom and used as one. I just have the opportunity to make some decisions now and don't want to choose the wrong one.

They certainly do not like to make anything simple in the code. I would have to guess that if the windows are the same size as the rest of the house, you should be OK. If they are smaller, then you need to check into it with your code official.

#12 ·
Many communities have added to the IRC codes...and like a large town close to me, they require 3/0-5/0 as a minimum.....but if you can measure out 5.7 sq/ft of clear area, disregarding the divided lights, which easily break, then a window will meet code.

I use 3/0-4/0 windows in our inexpensive spec homes,...and it does meet the letter of the code.

#13 ·
in my town, if your wok is greater than 25% of the value of the home, you must bring the whole house up to code.

someone in town had a kitchen fire, with the kitchen being the most costly, the repair went over 25% and they had to upgrade thier bedroom windows. a second mortgage was required because the insurance co wouldn't pay for bedroom windows when there was no fire damage there.

there is a homeowners insurance rider that would have paid for this, I got that on my policy for 20.00 per year.

Is this a common law?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.