DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone can look at this diagram and let me know how I can connect my "C" (Blue) unused wire to get my ecobee working is appreciated.

I tried connecting the "BLUE" to the "C" (while red and white) is already there connected from the A/C and that burned my fuse (3 amp), ended up replacing it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
it won't burn the fuse if you wire it correctly.

connecting C to C shouldn't blow it (u leave the existing wire connected there), unless there's a short in the wire or a problem with the stat.

Reactions: RoTalk

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
If you connected that blue wire to C at the furnace with the old thermostat wired like you've shown, it'll blow the fuse. However, it appears that you can commandeer that wire for C. It just has to be connected to C on BOTH ends before turning the power back on. Like user said you'll be good then.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is correct, the blue wire on this older LUX thermostat was not connected, and tomorrow I will remove the lux, connect the blue to the proper C, install the EcoBee and give it a try and should work.

This LUX has batteries, where it didn't need the 24v coming in or the blue, leaving the "C"/BLUE wire behind and connected on this might have caused the short, this was pushed into the wall.

Thank you for the feedback and will post update tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Your picture looks like it was connected to B. Either way, if it's touching any of the other wires, either by accident or a short in the cable, it'll blow the fuse when connected to C at the furnace.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success,

Removed old LUX thermostat, connected the "Blue" wire to the Red above in diagram, wired cables, per ecobee suggestion and when flipped the switch, it came on and it is working, at the moment it is calibrating, might take 5-20 minutes and won't turn heat or cold on till calibration is done.

Appreciated feedback and hope someone else that has similar setup can troubleshoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts