DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the quietness of furnace blower fan, replace psc to ecm motor, do you think worth it, cost ~C$300.00 to C$400.00?

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
only worth it if you run your fan all the time.

each mode uses different speed.

not necessarily much quieter unless the goal is to run fan at very low speed in continuous mode. noise has more to do with how your ducts were sized.

·
Super Moderator
39,450 Posts
First, is it motor noise, or air noise your tying to get rid of?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, is it motor noise, or air noise your tying to get rid of?
Try to slow down the motor in heat mode, it is on the lowest speed available on the board. A lots of air from vents, my house is open concept, hear loud noise of motor and air everywhere.
Heat and a/c work good though..

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
You can't just keep slowing the motor down without first making sure the unit is operating within its design parameters. Not enough air and you'll overheat it in heating mode, or have a freeze up during cooling.
It sounds like you have a duct problem. What's the static pressure readings when the units running? What kind of CFM is it moving in heating and in cooling?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will leave the system alone then.

I should clarify my question, if spin at same speed, would ecm motor quieter than psc motor?

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
less motor noise.

you have to do a temperature rise test before adjusting the fan speed.

·
Super Moderator
39,450 Posts
Will leave the system alone then.

I should clarify my question, if spin at same speed, would ecm motor quieter than psc motor?
No, you would have the same air noise from the registers as you do now.

Its your duct work and or registers that are causing your noise. Also possibly you have over sized equipment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts