DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi;
I am looking at AFCI breakers for my CH loadcenter.
I find two model #'s that look exactly the same:

CHCAF120CS sold at Home Depot for $49.97
CHFCAF120CS sold at Amazon.com for $56.07

Searching through Eaton's data sheets, I cannot find a direct reference to either part number, but on another side, I find that the CHCAF (the one sold by Home Depot) is no longer available.

Did the CHFCAF replace the CHCAF?
I don't want to buy an obsolete device.
Also, I thought there was a combo that had both AFCI and GFCI. I don't see those in stores, although I do see them in Eaton's data sheets. Perhaps it is best to use the AFCI breaker and GFCI receptacle.

Thanks for your help

FW

Edit: further research I find that the CHFCAF has a mechanical flag to indicate that it has tripped, but the CHCAF does not.
Is this the only difference?
In any case, it looks that most of what is available are the CHFCAF type.

·
FIDO...
215 Posts
Around this time last year, I installed a few of these CH AFCI breakers... Do you have a Home Depot local to you? If so, go see what they actually have in stock...

I bought most of my CH AFCI breakers at my local HD, and they were indeed the CHFCAF type (the ones with the warning flag, not the ones shown on the HD website).

If you have to mail order the breakers, I recommend going through platt.com - they have a great selection (to include the Eaton's new combination AFCI/GFCI breakers), fast shipping, and good customer service. I don't work for them - I've just been very pleased with my past transactions with them.

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you think of purchasing these breakers on Ebay?
I checked earlier, and find that I can get the same breaker (bran-new in sealed packaging) for about 1/2 the cost at HD.
I would guess that what is being offered on Ebay is overstock by contractors.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What do you think of purchasing these breakers on Ebay?
I checked earlier, and find that I can get the same breaker (bran-new in sealed packaging) for about 1/2 the cost at HD.
I would guess that what is being offered on Ebay is overstock by contractors.
dunno, knock-offs exist everywhere, and bay is one place where KO's are often sold, and seller may not even know its a KO.

if the bay seller is a known name and has their own site an looks legit, call them and ask some questions about the stuff they are selling on bay. then look online for any complaints about the seller, etc.

use the Eaton online chat feature to get info on how to know if a Eaton branded breaker is legit or not, there can be signs that the item is not legit (poor markings, wrong type of rivets, etc etc).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts