DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wondered how companies ground smaller surge device such as inline surge protectors for Cat5 cable, Coax cable, etc. These inline surge suppressors often have a ground wire, or place on the suppressor to ground the protector to the structures grounding system. Is there any other proper way to ground these things other than running a new direct wire to the structures main grounding block? I have heard of people tapping into phone system grounds, is this legit and how would that work? Is there a proper way to tap into a ground inside an existing electrical outlet and then out to the device needing to be grounded? Its just that in some places and businesses, running a new ground wire all the way back would be a nightmare just to ground something like an Ethernet cable. Can you guys advise me on this subject?
- Mike

·
Super Moderator
14,792 Posts
I don't think i have ever seen an ethernet cable that was grounded. I have seen some with a grounded shield.

Grounding of the phone and cable lines should be nearest the point of entry into the building to the building ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think i have ever seen an ethernet cable that was grounded. I have seen some with a grounded shield.

Grounding of the phone and cable lines should be nearest the point of entry into the building to the building ground.
The reason I ask about the ethernet cable is because I install a lot of outdoor access points on roofs and in the ground, they are very susceptible to lightning. Also, one of my customers has an ethernet cable that goes from one building to another under ground and equipment on both ends gets zapped often, If I had grounded surge protectors on both ends then it would eliminate this issue.
- Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts