DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am doing an Eagle Scout project at my school, I am going to assemble and install a couple of benches. The issue is, I have no idea how to do this. Would anyone like to help answer some of the questions I have?

1) What materials would I need?
2) How many would I need of each, and how would I assemble them?
3) How much would one bench cost?

Please help, I am totally overwhelmed and need to get this done. Are there any DIY bench guides out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
What is your vision?
A flat, seat only bench?
You want a back rest on it?
How long would you like it? 4 foot?
Would you like them natural or a certain color?
Do you have a budget in mind?

·
Registered
37,225 Posts
There's at least a hundred different ways to build a bench.
Any Home Depot or Lowes will have some books or go on line.
When you to figure out what you need I'd be contacting some local lumber yard's not a box store and explain to the owner what your doing.
There more likely to give a discount, no tax or even donate the materials.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think a flat seat would be easier, expecially because it will be set against the wall, where they can rest their backs. I don't know how long to make it, that's part of what I'm stuck on. The color is irrelevant, whatever is available. Thanks Joe, I'll look into that! I am going to apply for grants for the project, it's all towards building an outdoor classroom for our environmental program at school, so the budget isn't thought up yet. Depends on how cheap this can all go for

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think a flat seat would be easier, expecially because it will be set against the wall, where they can rest their backs. I don't know how long to make it, that's part of what I'm stuck on. The color is irrelevant, whatever is available. Thanks Joe, I'll look into that! I am going to apply for grants for the project, it's all towards building an outdoor classroom for our environmental program at school, so the budget isn't thought up yet. Depends on how cheap this can all go for
Well, originally you mentioned a couple benches which usually is 2. That wouldn't be a big deal. Sounds like you may want more.

You need to be able to articulate your vision a touch more precisely. It will help getting the best advice quicker.

I would suggest to decide on a length of bench, being flexible as to your final decision. 4,5,6 foot etc.

Here's a link to a sturdy looking bench.
http://www.chiefs-shop.com/chiefsshop-busstopbench.pdf

Just as general guidance. Took only a few minutes searching for "park bench plans"

That way you can get and idea of cost per bench based on different options and materials.

As joe caption said, once you have your vision a little more refined, seek out local help. Surely some will be happy to assist with materials and advice for your project.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you build your benches out of lumber, take your materials list to the managers of several lumber yards, Lowes and Home Depot. Home Depot has been the best for us. They set aside a certain budget at the beginning of each month to donate to local Eagle projects. Good luck with your project.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts