DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

E2 code on Carrier OMTSTAT_3 thermostat

63K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  strikeeagle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All. Any help is appreciated with my thermostat. An E2 code appears when in cool mode for my heat pump but works OK in heat mode.(heat pump will kick in and heat.) The thermostat just clicks and flashes E2. :(
I believe it is a Carrier programmable tstatccpdf01-a thermostat that controls a Carrier dual fuel model 58mxa Weathermaker 9200 and a 38byb split system heat pump. Unit was installed around 2000. Serviceman worked on the heating side of the heat pump this winter. A fuse was blown on the circuit board inside the house and he said a wire was loose on the outside unit.
If I select auto mode the same E2 code appears.
Transformer appears to have about 24+ volts at R and C wires at the thermostat. Actually 27.5 volts.

#3 ·
if you have a owners manual it should explain E2 in the manual. This is what I found.....Brownout condition or too low of voltage to thermostat. Double check wiring and check for 24 vac between R and C. E2 will clear 15 sec after proper voltage is restored.

check you manual or post model number stat.

#6 ·
tech126 is probably more familiar with your stat then I am. But I would check for loose or corroded wire connections at it and at the air handler and outdoor unit.

tehn if none were found, ohm out the contactor coil and RV coil(turn off line voltage first).

Reactions: strikeeagle
#10 ·
Eagle, do as beenthere suggested and check all the wiring connections in stat, furnace, and HP first. Then check the resistance of the contactor and RV coil.

Also, add more info in a new post instead of updating your old post. It is hard to tell there is new info present unless watching closely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.