DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbup:Do any on you have any thoughts on whether Gary Katz's DVDs on Conquering Crown Molding is worth the price of $50. I am a newbie who has done one room using Wayne Drake's book I got at HD, "Crown Molding & Trim. Install It Like A Pro." This is my DYI project and I doubt if anything will teach me to install it like a pro, but I am ready to fork out the $50 if the DVD is a pretty good teaching tool. Is anyone familiar with it? TIA

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have not see the DVD, but based on my contact with Gary I would not hesitate to buy it. He is very knowledgeable a great teacher and he takes his craft very seriously.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going for the DVD

I am going for it based on what you guys say and some snippets of Katz's videos I found on the net. http://www.nme.com/video/id/EkPUp42ov2M/search/Gary Katz

Another excerpted from Gary Katz's DVD, "Mastering the Miter Saw: Part 1." http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=5250

I saw another clip somewhere that I couldn't readily locate. It interested me because Katz was using a straight 16 gauge nailer to hang crown and I am trying to decide if I should get an angeled 15. So far, I used a claw hammer and nails.:whistling2:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What are the pros and cons of cutting in position vs flat. I think somewhere I heard that pros pefer cutting crown nested vertically (in position) but then somewhere else that is left for beginners, as they aren't required to set the bevel of the blade, and pros are supposed to prefer cutting on the flat, since it is more accurate.

·
Tool Geek
2,590 Posts
........ and pros are supposed to prefer cutting on the flat, since it is more accurate.
No No No This is a popular misconception. However if the Crown is too high to cut in position, then cutting on the flat may be the only option.

I wish I could find a pic of Gary's solution to cut 18" Fypon (Urethane Architectural Crown). He built a large U shaped plywood miter box to hold the Fypon crown in position while he cut it with a handsaw using slots cut in the plywood. If anybody can find that pic please post it. The set up looked like one of those magic show props where the girl gets cut in half.

Reasons why cutting on the flat is less accurate:

1. Miter saw bevel gauges are not precise
  2. Bevel settings assume corners are all 90°
  3. Spring angle can vary

excerpt from Gary on WW:
Opinions vary, but after installing crown for more than 25 years I found cutting on the flat is always harder and less accurate, especially if the spring angle of the crown isn't 38 or 45, which it often isn't. I frequently install one pattern that's 33 degrees. And, as Contributor L says, if the corner angles aren't 90 degrees, which they rarely are, all your cuts will be off.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cutting Flat or Vertical

Thanks, Bob.

I did notice that Katz is cutting crown on the vertical in a couple of clips available on line, http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=5250 though various other online sources say that vertical is easiest and best for beginners, since they don't have to mess with setting a bevel, as long as the height of their saw's fence can handle the size of the molding, but flat will give you a more precise cut.

Supposedly the reason cutting flat is that the molding can be held in place and it is easier to allow it to move slightly when held vertically.

One of the trailers available online from Katz a simple way to make a crown stop by simply clamping a piece of scrap to the table. While the first and only room I have cut to date was done on the flat, I am going to experiment with vertical using Gary's technique.

The point you made about spring angle varying makes sense if the bevel angle is based on a uniform spring agile.

As I don't have a stand and was going to build something, and wasn't sure if I was going to include extension wings or how firmly they would attach, I think I will design it so a jig (piece of scrap) can be clamped on to use as crown stop. Gary's technique looks much better than using DeWalt's crown stops.

On another note, is a 16 gauge nailer adequate for larger UMDF crown or is it a much better idea to go with a 15, setting aside the fact that most 16s are straight nailers? Thanks.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wayn Drake's Book

That is Wayne Drake's book and that is where I started. BTW, Wayne has been very helpful in responding to my emails. The one rook I have done so far with it is beutiful. Still, I want to see Katz's DVD. Reading how to do it is one thing and Wayne's book is excellent, but I want to see it done and there is often more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These DVD's are Awesome

I only got it the day before yesterday and couldn't find time to really look at it until last night. It is so good that I won't even attempt to describe all the things I like about it, less I leave some out as there are so many. There is one caveat, it may be too advanced if you have no experience with Crown Molding. I have just a little and will find out how well I can apply what Gary explains and demonstrates so well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another night owl

I see you are another night owl. I already decided to email Gary and ask to be notified he is next doing a show in So Cal. I see you are in PV. I am in South Orange County. Perhaps we can get a cup of coffee at one of Gary's shows. You also gave me some tips on choosing a nailer. Thanks. Gary's DVD even covers nailing. Just his tips on nailing and the proper use of different glues will save me a lot of work.

·
Tool Geek
2,590 Posts
Just ordered the Conquering Crown Molding DVD set from an outfit called Hartville Tool of Akron, OH, for $29.94 plus shipping of $7.95
Klaw, That is a good find. Amazon has it for 49.95
http://www.amazon.com/Conquering-Cr...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1258580559&sr=8-2
It pays to Surf

The link for this DVD @ Hartville Tool is:
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12901

My hometown is Akron OH. This Hartville Tool Co is new to me, but then I left Akron right after High School. They have a whole raft of DVD's plus tons of tools listed. They promise fast shipping. I can't imagine they have an Amazon size warehouse so they must have a fast way to get their listed item from other sources.

Klaw, when you get your DVD, note where it was shipped from.

I'm going to check them out for my next tool purchase. To me it appears that they a using a business model similar to Tyler Tool in selling with a small mark up by minimizing their inventory overhead.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haartville Tool

Bob,

So you are from Akron. My wife is from Findlay.

Hatville's retail store is at 940 W Maple St, Hatville, OH 44632 and it has a web site at www.hartvillehardware.com. After getting the DVD I leaned there is free ground shipping on orders over $99 through Jan 31, 2010. There is stocking stuffer I have been eyeballing, A magneticly secured digital gauge for saw blade bevel angle with a 0.1 degree resolution.

That brings up another issue, which is whether I should cope inside corners. If you want to address that, I will start a seperate thread after I check to see if it has been discussed already.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts