DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of posts on this but can't find an answer that works for my situation.

I have dusk to dawn lights on my house and they aren't all coming on. Increasingly often they are not turning on when it gets dark. They are all on switches, different ones, and the switches are on. All the bulbs work because sometimes they are on and sometimes they are not. I believe the photocells work because if I put a flashlight up to the photocell I hear a click, when I remove the flashlight, I hear the click again but no light.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Read the directions which came with the photocell controls for these.

If they are "consumer" fixtures bought at a retail store, be aware that some have different "modes of operation". And these modes are switched by turning on/off the light switch in a certain manner! Others have switch settings on the fixture.

With "commercial" photocell controls, there typically are no settings, however there may be a slider to block out light and an angle adjustment to point it various directions. With these, you want to make sure they are not pointing at other lights in the area - that will make them "think" it is daylight.

Another possibility is the electronics got fried by a voltage surge and they need to be replaced. Or they are underrated for the wattage of the bulbs installed and that fried them.

I like these kind you can get at an electrician's supply and I like to install much higher rated wattage sensor than the bulbs...

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
I have seen a lot of posts on this but can't find an answer that works for my situation.

I have dusk to dawn lights on my house and they aren't all coming on. Increasingly often they are not turning on when it gets dark. They are all on switches, different ones, and the switches are on. All the bulbs work because sometimes they are on and sometimes they are not. I believe the photocells work because if I put a flashlight up to the photocell I hear a click, when I remove the flashlight, I hear the click again but no light.

Any thoughts?
Thanks.
What kind of dusk to dawn luminaire you have if the common HID type useally old school mercury vapour type ( you can get the bulb but not the ballast ) that is usally have 175 watt bulbs ( USA verison Our <France> used have 125 watters )

Or HPS ( High Pressure Soduim ) if the light cycle like go on and off that means the bulb useally pretty much done for it so you can get new bulb.

CFL make sure you get correct type as they came with it.

Indenscent types I don't useally see them often but once a while it will show up but change bulb useally do the trick.

Now for the photocell either they will have a twistlock photocell on the top of the unit which you can untwist and exchange for new one. I will post the photo so you can get the idea.

Otherwise button verison some will be on side some will be on the top so it will varies a bit.

When you change the photocell ( button verison ) please pay attetion to the connection this is very important to order to have it function properly.

Typically Black is line ( supply ) Red is to the lumianire lamp or ballast , white is netural.

That photo I posted that is 208-277 volt verison but they do have 120 volt verison which you will use.

Hope that help ya.

Merci,
Marc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.