DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I'm in a transitional phase, from artistic to industrial paint. Naturally, I have little idea of their special characteristics, and after a research through the internet and general opinions, I still haven't found some more specific answers - so bear with me. I'm about to use paint to decorate plaster and wood, possibly cement and stone too. Some of these objects are to be kept outside, exposed to whatever weather conditions. In a few words, I want to know which characteristics are responsible for the longevity of household paints. For example, I understand the higher the solids percentage is, the better. I'll try to summarise my questions.

1. I'm thinking of using solely pure waterborne acrylics, starting with a primer, the paint, then a satin sealer/varnish. But considering the significance of vapour diffusion, maybe the sealer is not such a good approach? Unless of course I leave a hidden spot with just the primer.
2. Is there a paint more durable than 100% acrylic these days? And how long normally does it last under sun, wind and rain? Some brands say 15 years, others generalise like "it lasts for a long time". I know the numbers are approximate, still it's something.
3. Reading a few brochures, I see that some paints (mainly for concrete) include styrene, or silicone, yet on the label they declare their product as 100% acrylic. Am I to suppose this is a marketing trick? Is the difference negligible?
4. Are titanium dioxide pigments considered lightfast? And what about calcium carbonate fillers?
5. How well do ecological products of the same brand compare with the normal ones?

Any thoughts?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts