DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thanks in advance for any help...I am remodeling my 1950s bathroom. I am replacing the old duplex receptacle (not grounded) with a new grounded one. In the same box is a single pole switch, also being replaced with a new one. I hook everything up (new) and the there is power, but when you turn on the switch the overhead light won't come on. If I hook up all the old, it works fine. There is power, but the light won't come on. I'm so frustrated. Please help! Thanks!

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,113 Posts
One of 2 things:

You wired the new switch wrong

The new switch is defective.

BTW, I hope your new receptacle is GFCI

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Hi, thanks in advance for any help...I am remodeling my 1950s bathroom. I am replacing the old duplex receptacle (not grounded) with a new grounded one. In the same box is a single pole switch, also being replaced with a new one. I hook everything up (new) and the there is power, but when you turn on the switch the overhead light won't come on. If I hook up all the old, it works fine. There is power, but the light won't come on. I'm so frustrated. Please help! Thanks!
Is it a combination switch receptacle that fits into a single gang box or is a separate switch and receptacle that requires a 2 gang box?

And does the box(s) have a grounded cable feed?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Here's how I would wire it, assuming that you have two Romex cables in the box. One would be the feed, the other one to the light.
I would twist the two whites together, along with a pigtail that connects to the silver line terminal of the GFCI.
Then I would twist the power black with a pigtail going to the copper GFCI terminal, then I would loop from this terminal over to a switch terminal.
Finally, I would connect the black to the light onto the other switch terminal.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Here's how I would wire it, assuming that you have two Romex cables in the box. One would be the feed, the other one to the light.
I would twist the two whites together, along with a pigtail that connects to the silver line terminal of the GFCI.
Then I would twist the power black with a pigtail going to the copper GFCI line terminal, then I would loop from this terminal over to a switch terminal.
Finally, I would connect the black for the light onto the other switch terminal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.