DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have leaks in ductwork. House built in 1973, rigid ducts. 1800 sq ft, ranch with ducts in attic. Rather than new ductwork-flex for $3 grand, we are planning on starting at one end of house, removing insulation off ducts, reseal all joints, connections with mastic, reapply insulation wrap on duct and tape with foil tape. Does this sound right. My husband will do the work when temp cools down in attic. I hope to save some money on heat/ac bills. Then we plan to blow in extra insulation. Should we cover the ducts with insulation? Thanks guys for your info. At least I know hubby will not miss any connections.

·
Hvac Pro
23,436 Posts
Sounds PURRfect. Flex duct has a lot more resistance to airflow so I would stay with what you have. Make sure he wears a GOOD HIGH quality dustmask, not the el cheapo throw away type. Watch out for mouse droppings, GROSS but lethal if disturbed and inhaled in attics or barns.

·
Administrator
40,871 Posts
Have him use an R8 insulation wrap.

Don't blow insulation over the insulated duct to increase R value.
The duct wrap can sweat when you do that, and cause troubles.

·
Banned
5,990 Posts
Hantavirus is the BAD one.:nuke:
If you get it, it's very bad, but it might be very unlikely that you get it. Kinda' like getting hit by lightning; few people survive that experience but very few people are ever struck.
I guess CDC would know the mortality/morbidity rates for this virus.

Did you know a virus does not want to kill people [because then it won't spread]?
A virus wants to infect as many people as possible and it hopes those people live long enough to spread it to others.:eek:

·
Hvac Pro
23,436 Posts
Sounds like David Koresh or some other weird "religious" wackados.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts