DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post to forum, so "Hello".

I'm doing some remodeling and want to move a duct/vent down a wall about 6 feet (3 floor joists) and wondered what options I have for connecting the vent to the trunk.

The current vent uses 6" oval in the wall and 6" round to connect to the trunk.

My problem is where I want to put the vent there is no direct access to the trunk. However, 1 floor joist over there is access to the trunk but I have to go around a floor joist and I have a ceiling height restriction of about 4" where the ceiling is on the other side of the duct work.

I've tried to draw it real quick...

SNAG-0372.jpg

From the drawing, the right side (Green) is what it looks like today and on the left (Yellow) is what I'm trying to figure out how to make work and make the connection back to the trunk?

What kind of options do I have??

Should I use 6" oval and make a series of 90 degree turns or are there other options? should I use some kind of flex tubing??

VB,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is load bearing, so I wouldn't be able to cut through the joist for the duct work, I have to go around.

Does flexible ducting make sense? Do I need to stay with 6" or can I down size it 4" to make it easier for maneuvering?

If I have to stay with 6" I was thinking about using 90's but I really have no idea what the Professionals would do in this case.

SNAG-0459.jpg

·
retired framer
44,514 Posts
It is load bearing, so I wouldn't be able to cut through the joist for the duct work, I have to go around.

Does flexible ducting make sense? Do I need to stay with 6" or can I down size it 4" to make it easier for maneuvering?

If I have to stay with 6" I was thinking about using 90's but I really have no idea what the Professionals would do in this case.

View attachment 586257
I would look at changing to 5" to keep it tighter but I am not an HVAC guy either.

You are looking at a little drop right at the wall. Plan for that, It is easier of you do some of that work before you install the ducts. I can help with that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was sort of thinking of something like this but thought there must be a better way...

EDIT - Looking down from a TOP view here at the end of the floor joist...

SNAG-0463.jpg

·
retired framer
44,514 Posts
I was sort of thinking of something like this but thought there must be a better way...

EDIT - Looking down from a TOP view here at the end of the floor joist...

View attachment 586265
Elbow down from the floor joist just before the wall, elbow sideways, elbow into the wall going down.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts