DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on central air. My house has a forced hot air heating system. I have to assume the past owner of the house had AC added to the system and it uses the heat ducts for cold air. All the returns and registers are in the floor, the system blows plenty of cold air up to your knees. I was thinking of having a air handler added to the Attic with new ducts and returns in the ceiling. A friend said the excising would work better if the returns were raised close to the ceiling, so the higher returns would pull the hot air from the ceiling and draw up the cold air? This would be a lot less expensive than adding a unit in the attic. Looking for some advice. Thanks

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Is it not keeping the house cold enough? Where I am we keep both vents on the floor. Return ones on the interior walls and heating ones on the outside walls. Depends where you live whether having returns higher up helps. Where do you live?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Asheville, NC. The house is cold on the floor. I have 50 deg F coming out of the register and 64 going in the return, outside is 87deg F. The house is a ranch style. With this system it takes hours to drop one degree as shown on the thermostat. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts