DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious, I was watching a video on painting an exterior door and the person said to use DTM paint. DTM, direct to metal right?

It was a metal door and had been painted before or was still in the factory primer. So why use DTM paint, it is not being applied direct to metal but to paint or primer.

I thought DTM is for bare metal??

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Its for any metal, but doesnt require a primer. scientifically, its about expansion rates, rust prevention, and will dry much harder than a regular paint. You can use a regular paint on a previously painted or primed door if you want, but DTM is just better. Some people use it on wood cabinets too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Its for any metal, but doesnt require a primer. scientifically, its about expansion rates, rust prevention, and will dry much harder than a regular paint. You can use a regular paint on a previously painted or primed door if you want, but DTM is just better. Some people use it on wood cabinets too.
I used it for wood cabinets and it worked great but I also used a primer (McCormick paint Unix primer with McCormick DTM Interlok paint)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.