DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m helping a friend with his new convention center. The building has cement walls. The city came through and forced him to put two inch rigid insulation on the cement. So the insulation is both glued on and nailed on. Would it be ok to put drywall on the insulation? So it would be cement-insulation-drywall, no wood at all. We would glue the drywall on to the insulation. Walls are 80 feet long, 24 feet high. Any thoughts and or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
retired painter
9,903 Posts
Normally the cement walls are furred out with wood [with insulation in between the strips] and the drywall is attached to it. How will the electrical be run?

·
Naildriver
10,634 Posts
Now that the XPS is applied, the best course of action will be to build independent walls 1" out from the XPS, run your electrical and plumbing, insulate and apply the sheetrock. It sounds like you will be losing a bunch of space, but in reality it will make it much easier to run the facilities, as well as giving you a space for better insulation.

Reactions: Guap0_

·
1,081 Posts
Without knowing the OP's location, would the XPS need to be covered with firegaurd drywall, especially in a commercial setting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The electrical will be ran in the insulation. Location is Utah.
Any idea how to run wood over the insulation? Because If we use a 1x2 we have a lot of inches to get to the cement to anchor. Screws will not work because the cement is to hard. Only thing that is working is a .22 powdered gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also no plumbing will be needed. Will be taken care of in the center of the building.
Thank you for your responses!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
You're on a DIY forum asking about a convention center? Seriously? Your friend took on a contract without knowing the specifications or building codes? I find this too hard to believe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how construction is in NC. Here it’s absolutely insane. This project has been going on for over a year, and has had 3 separate contractors. They put in a bid and then say they are to busy to do it. They get more bids and nobody comes or the ones that do, say give me $800,000. We will start tomorrow. I think we will have to go with the z furring. Thanks for everyone input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts