DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never installed drywall yet, but will be installing it soon on my house. I have 70 sheets of 5/8" and 48 sheets of 1/2" to install.
I am wondering if it would be worth it to go to the expense of buying a dedicated drywall gun (about $80), or if I could get by with just using one of the drywall screw setter bits that you can use with a cordless drill/driver (I already have the drill/driver) ?

Has anyone used both, and if so, how much better does the dedicated gun work ?

I also already have a cordless impact driver that I used to install my subfloor and noticed that I had better control in not over/under driving the screws than I had in using the cordless drill/driver.
Is that a viable option for installing drywall as opposed to the screw setter bit ?

Thanks,
Arky

·
Experienced
2,979 Posts
Personally, go with the dedicated drywall gun, they are lighter duty, but also lighter overall.

Purchased one years ago, and have never regretted it.

Mark

·
Next Time...New Build
192 Posts
With that much to hang a dedicated drywall gun is definitely a good choice.

The impact does make setting screws a little easier. As you said, you have good control which makes you less prone to run the screw through the paper of the board. I have used my impact on a number of occasions to hang board, but not that type of volume.

Used to use an old Milwaukee drywall gun that ran like a champ.

·
Registered
386 Posts
With 118 sheets of drywall, i'd buy a screwgun for sure. It will save you a lot of time. i bought one just for 35 sheets. Can't imagine not having one for the quantity you will be putting up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would go with a collated screw gun, the screws in strips cost a little more, however you can fly with one of these, the time you will save will more than cover the cost of the screw strips, I have both a collated and regular screw gun, for smaller jobs, I will use the screw gun, but if I am going to hang a whole room, I get out the collated. I would not get the screw setter bits for that much drywall, they strip to easy and are a hassle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts