DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I think I know the answer, but I need reassurance.

Some repairing/remodelling I am doing requires that I butt up a new piece of drywall to an existing edge. This existing edge just so happens to be a bull nose. In fact, it is a header over an entrance way we are closing off. So I have a bull nose running floor to a height of 80 inch, and then across 72 inch to the wall.

This is in the basement, and because of low ceiling height, there is only about 6 inch from the horizontal bull nose to the ceiling. Likewise, on the vertical bull nose, there is a door right next to it, so the casing for that door is only about 5 inch away from the vertical bull nose.

Any the question is;

Can I butt up my new drywall to these existing bull noses, and feather it out with mud, or is it going to look like mud :)

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You would need to tape the seam. The final outcome would depend on your taping/mudding skills.
Ron

·
Registered
11 Posts
if it was me i would beat the old bead off and pre-fill with sheetrock 90,you dont know how well that bead is applied,is it stapled,glued,screwed?who knows,do it right,it will turn out better if you go down to the base!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts