DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-I am new to home improvement projects. My house flooded over the winter and some of the drywall had to be removed. About a 2' section was cut across the bottom all the way down the wall. I had a contractor come in and replace these pieces. Now I feel definite waves where the patches are. Is it not possible to get these patches pretty flat? I have had several friends tell me it should be flatter and the contractor and another friend tell me it is impossible to really get it right. The photo shows an area of wall looking straight down to floor. Is this good drywall work? I would appreciate any help!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,915 Posts
I would expect it to be flatter than that. It should be a flat taper away from the corner. It looks like a bulge away from the corner.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I wonder if the wood behind the drywall had sufficient time to dry out before applying the new board.If so and the wall was not wavy before,they probably could have done a better job of floating it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Can that be improved at all without totally redoing it? The other areas are mostly in the closet so I can live with it. This area is going to stick out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if the wood behind the drywall had sufficient time to dry out before applying the new board.If so and the wall was not wavy before,they probably could have done a better job of floating it out.
It had about 2 months and the area was dehumidified and dried with fans. I could post a lot of pictures that I have taken, if you would like to see more. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
It can be repaired easily by just floating out the effected areas with a 12-14" drywall knife and some topping mud.If the walls have all been painted I would rough sand them and use some hotmud.

·
Registered
457 Posts
You cant fix the outside corner without ripping out the corner bead and starting over. Looks like corner bead was not installed properly or there is something funking going on with studs. Either way can't be just mudded because you will loose the edge from the corner bead and if corner ever gets bumped a huge chunk of compound will fall off.
It will look alot better once it is nailed into place and caulked. All the work is done so I would try and live with it. Can always go back and fix it if later it still bothers you.

·
11,730 Posts
That tape joint should not be bulging as pictured. They did not know to finish the drywall properly. As you had a pro company dry it out, the studs should have been caught in time unless water was sitting for 2 months BEFORE it was dried. Otherwise they should not warp in a short time being already fastened on each end. The texture/paper should have been removed (sanded/grated away) to make room for the new tape/compound thickness for a minimal bump there as neither edge was factory taper. It takes a little longer but doesn't look as if from a hack as pictured. IMHO, remove the tape/compound under the ridge or simply cut new patch 2" higher (if baseboard will cover joint of filler board), either way what you show is unacceptable.

Pictured shows a bad joint in board running vertically (up/down) that suggests ends of 2' wide board butting corner---- and the corner bead (if there) has a gap to the trim base.... did you not have lights in the basement- get the owner out and show-n-tell him/her. Why is gap/cut in vinyl showing.... put a straight edge on the plumb corner edge.

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts