DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Progress!

It's not that pretty and I couldn't find a stud for the one side so I put a piece of ply up there and secured it. I must have read my tape wrong because that same gap is wider than I was expecting. I'll put some setting compound in there tomorrow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah I know I put a lot in. I discovered a what a screw dimpler was today so I had to use it.

When I removed the old drywall the fasteners (standard nails, not ring shank) were 20" OC, no wonder I was getting nail pops.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok hot mud is up and now that everything is clean is probably close to set. How long should I be waiting until I but the green top on with tape? I know once the easy sand is set it still technically isn't dry, should I be waiting a good long while for the joint to completely dry?

Why don't I think of these questions earlier?

Side note: that hot mud stuff is pretty cool asides from having to mix it myself which was a pain since it is my first time with it. Otherwise I found it really cool to work with.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
You can put the top coat on any time the bottom coat is set. But you have to wait for the whole thing to dry before sanding or painting.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't going to be some weird interaction between the two types of mud (premix vs setting). I'll do that tonight since it's a nice day here to work outside.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I just wanted to follow up with everyone since I've now finished the ceiling. Have to paint the walls now.

The actual drywall work didn't take too long (been busy with other things) although I did end up having to have a pretty wide joint. Overall it came out really well. I can see the patch if I stare at the ceiling while directly underneath it and even then is mainly a texture difference more than anything else.

Thanks again for the help guys.

·
JOATMON
15,212 Posts
Good job. This is how DIY stories are supposed to go.....you jump in with both feet....ask questions...get answers...get it done....

Is it as good as a pro? Maybe. Did it take you longer than a pro? Yep. Do you have a lot of satisfaction doing it yourself? Oh, hell yea.

Next time there won't be any questions....you will know what to do.

Doesn't it feel good?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts