DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I noticed water stains on my bedroom ceiling. Had some contractors come out and all agreed that the cause was an old gable vent that had developed some gaps. To repair I had one of the contractors replace the gable vent with a new one.

The repair was a month ago, but yesterday I tested the stains with my moisture meter and all are still reading a moisture reading of 20-30%

My question is whether or not this is normal after a month?

I have a contractor coming out to replace the drywall, but my fear is that there is still moisture getting in there and the new drywall will face the same fate.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You should have contacted your insurance agent. The insulation and the drywall are all pretty saturated to still be showing up after a month.

When the contractor comes to remove the water damaged dry wall, have them also check the insulation and remove it as well. Moisture has a way of hanging around and attracting mold. And that is the last thing you want.

You still may want to call your insurance agent since the moisture is still around.

Reactions: mark sr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks KT, the insurance agent did come out and identified the gable vent as the issue, but they would only cover the inside issue and it was on me to find a contractor to repair the source of the leak.

The plan is to remove the Sheetrock and insulation although there is no visible mold. If it’s normal for Sheetrock to hold moisture that long then I am OK to proceed. If it’s not, I’ll contact the exterior contractor again. Just don’t want to go down the path of repairing the interior for there to still be a leak somewhere.

I just am not sure how long moisture can be retained in drywall.

·
retired painter
9,901 Posts
IMO the main thing is getting rid of that insulation - it will take forever to dry and will ruin the drywall if it hasn't already. Once everything is dry and you are convinced the leak won't happen again it's no big deal to put everything back together.

·
Contractor/Engineer
599 Posts
The original "contractor" did NOT remove and replace the wet insulation? Did he go into the attic and see all the wet stuff? Absurd - unless that contractor CLEARLY told you to have someone remove and replace the insulation since it was outside of his contract.

You did not mention whether it's been raining since the last "repair." If it has been raining, then I suspect the leak has not been fixed and the original guy should be brought back to redo/finish the job - clearly you can demonstrate there is still moisture in the same place.

In my life, no one can guarantee where a rain water leak is coming from unless you can actually see daylight through the roof. Everything else is just guesswork and identification of the most-likely source. (Okay, cut me some slack on my blanket statement - yes, sometimes you CAN find leaks.)

IMO - the job was not completed AND the leak may not have been repaired.

Maybe I'm just too old and expect service personnel to be able to see beyond the end of their nose when working for someone.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The plan is to remove the Sheetrock and insulation although there is no visible mold. If it’s normal for Sheetrock to hold moisture that long then I am OK to proceed.

The "plan"? Are you saying the insulation has not been removed yet? That's bananas. That would be the first thing I'd do. You cannot even begin to find out of there's still a problem if wet insulation is still up there. No, it is not normal for drywall to hold moisture for that long. But that is assuming it can dry and there is nothing wet around it, obviously.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts