DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We built a new garage 2 years ago and are getting around to finishing the drywall. Are there any joint compounds that are less prone to crack? I did have the contractor finish the ceiling as part of the job and there are several cracks in the joints. Thanks.

·
Registered
37,177 Posts
Anytime a new building is built it's common for a few cracks to show up due to settling and the materials drying out.
There's lots of differant reason yours could have cracked at the seam.
No perlin so the ceiling joist moved.
Undersized ceiling joist.
Someone used nails instead of screws, or not enough screws.
Moist lumber that dryed out.
Only one coat of dry wall compound, or they pushed to hard on the knife and pushed all the compound out when the tape went on.
Bottom cords not wide enough for storage and someone top loaded them anyway.
Used 1/2" drywall instead of 5/8 with 24" span.

There's 100's of thousands of unconditioned garages with just reguler sheetrock and mud in a bucket compound with no problums.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
I built my garage about 6 yrs ago and instead of drywalling the interior, we used OSB. The screw holes were filled and seams filled with wood puddy, then sanded. Two coats of Klotz mildew resistant primer and a coat of Klotz mildew resistant white paint and it turned out great.

I went with wood instead of drywall because it is a fully insulated garage with no heat. (I do have a construction heater that plugs into 220 outlet that heats it up to above freezing in the winter if I need to work inside). I did not want the typical drywall issues so many garages have.

As you can see in the last pic, 6 yrs later and still looks good. Just my 2cents.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts