DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question on how to cut a specific piece of drywall. I have attached an overhead illustration showing what I mean. I have a wall that has a half wall hiding a support post. The half wall is about 12" in from an outside corner. I will be starting a full sheet of dry wall on that outside corner and running it toward the half wall. My question is how to cut the sheet to straddle the halfwall, my options are:

1) Cut the Half wall space out of the sheet and try and slip it over the halfwall.
2) Start the full sheet at the halfwall, then cut a piece to go around the halfwall. This will create a vertical butt joint at the left end of the half wall up to the top sheet of drywall.
3) Cut a small piece to cover the 12" portion of the wall creating a horizontal butt joint.

Ideas?

drywall question.jpg

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Either that is a very short half-wall, or you must be planning to run the seams of you sheets vertically. Vertical seams are not my preferred method because it puts joints at eye-level. So for that reason, I don't like option #2.

So IMHO, #1 and #3 both work, but I would probably do #3.

If you are running the joints of the sheets horizontally, then #1 probably going to be flimsy and break off before you get it in place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that is what I thought too about #1. Yes the seams are horizontal.

The halfwall is about 42" total. Its to hide a post.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts