DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am new here and have tried searching, but I can't find anything i am looking for.

I am looking to drywall my ceiling now that I've removed the drop ceiling, but I've got a few electric wires that I need to contend with. I'll post pictures when I have the ability to. The ceiling is low anyways ~7ft. 4in., so I would like as much clearance as possible.

Basically I've got the main electrical line that comes into the house, a coax cable, and a phone line that run along the bottom of the joists perpendicular across 9-10 joists, then run along one of them to their respective spots. I know that I can drill a hole for the coax cable and re-run it, however I am not sure what to do with the phone line or the electrical wiring. I would ideally like to drill holes, but i would have to get service shut off to the house, undo the wiring at the box and re-run it through the holes that I would drill. We don't use the phone service at all, but I don't want to remove it in case we move and the next owners would like to.

As an alternative, is there a way that I could add furring strips to the joists to provide room for the wiring to exist where it does now? How would I go about doing this if it is an option?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts
I am looking to drywall my ceiling...
The ceiling is low ~7ft. 4in.so I would like as much clearance as possible.

I've got a few electric wires that I need to contend with...
the main electrical line that comes into the house,
a coax cable, and a phone line that run along the bottom of the joists

is there a way that I could add furring strips...
depending on about 30 variables...
the answer is to *move* them to one end/side and then to box them in.
Think "soffit".

Post some pics if you want more specific ideas.

·
Registered
37,264 Posts
Far simpler to just screw some 2 X4's. to the joist.

·
sparky
43 Posts
TarheelTerp said:
If you box it in, be sure to put lots of "mechanical protection" over the service coming in, like metal plates all along it so the next guy doesn't run a screw into it....

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
Using furring strips should work and add nail plates and strips of steel anywhere the wire is really close to where the drywall will be put up.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
TarheelTerp said:
Think "soffit".

Post some pics if you want more specific ideas.
Exactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Using furring strips should work and add nail plates and strips of steel anywhere the wire is really close to where the drywall will be put up.
Would I run the furring strip perpendicular or right along the bottom of the joists? I plan to put a steel plate underneath the electrical for protection, and I am also going to diagram where the cables and vents are located for myself and future homeowners if we ever sell the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts