DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
762 Posts
I worked for a guy who was wrapped really tight. He was a YUGE fan of 5 minute mud cause he liked things to be done asfastaspossible!!! 5 minute mud has it's uses but, it;s not very practical. Anyway, we had some night work to do and he hands me a bag of Sheetrock 5 minute setting compound. Problem was, I had 4 floors in an office building with various offices here and there, all of which had pinholes to fill. This was a job for spackle. I told him so but, him being the boss, he didn't want to hear that. If I had had spackle on my truck, I woulda been fine. I was about 10 minutes from home, BUT, with no key for the building, I could not in good conscience leave the building with the door ajar. Long story somewhat shorter, I wasted a lot of mud running around trying to fill the pinholes before the mud stiffened in the pan. I really should have walked that night because the guy did not get any better and I knew he wouldn't. He wasn't a painter but you couldn't tell him anything. I had 20 years at the time and his foreman had even more than me and he couldn't tell him nothing either. When I told foreman the story he just shrugged and said: "If they made one minute mud he'd buy it!" He would have too!

Moral of the story- take your time! The work will still be there while the 45 or 90 sets and dries and there is always something else to do in the meantime.

The guy who was my boss? He went back to smoking crack and drinking after being clean for several years years. No surprise he liked that quick high.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Yeah, 5 minute is really for very small patches. You have enough flexibility with water temperature that you can mess with the setting times for 20 or 45.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts