DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,946 Posts
I think the dryer has an issue, or the plug is is miswired and the dryer is shorting hot to ground or neutral as soon as it turns on.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Checked everything again. I found that one hot measures 120V with neutral, the other also drops to 25-50V with the neutral.

Neural and ground measures 0V.

I suspected continuity problem on the running of the wire itself. I took the two hots off the breaker, and the other end, off the plug. I put two hots together on one end, and tested continuity on the other end, sure enough, max. ohm. Somewhere in the running of the lines, it is interrupted.

Now this is running from the breaker box, to the crawl space under 1st floor, then comes up back to the dryer plug.

Now:
Should I try everything I can to run a new cable from the breaker box to the dryer?
Or,
Should I find out the problem, and put two junction boxes and reconnect the line in the crawl space?

Thanks everyone for sticking it out with me ::)) LL((

·
Super Moderator
20,946 Posts
I would attempt to find the problem then decide what action to take.
Cables don't just go bad. Either there is a junction box somewhere with a bad connection or something has damaged the cable. Could be a rodent chewed it. If chewed then you might want to install conduit to prevent future chewing or route a different way.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There was a heating line in this basement was damaged as well, just because of the rust of the hooks. I will get to the crawl space... yuck....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts