DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Dryer vent 90 and extension

667 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  geenowalker
Appliance store would not deliver because I have a plastic line coming from the wall. I cut the plastic line out and was left with an existing transition elbow with little clearance. Was able to add an rigid 90 and get installed, but its recessed a little into the wall. Planning on adding a duct extension to come proud of the drywall and trim. The question I have is, what's the best way to make the 90 and existing transition connection rigid. I tried the band clip alone and it was not secure. Have band clip and a few sheet metal screws (from inside to outside so only the head is in the duct). Can I pack the bay with spray foam? Thinking that the appliance delivery hacks will beat up the connection and open it up. Can't use blocking, cause the drain is just to the right of the duct?

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8,908 Posts
You can get 4" couplers with male and female ends. Cut the female end so crimped male end is usable. 2-3 screws where permanent and if joint is tight, no taping is necessary. Outside the wall, one screw should be fine. I don't use band clamp because dryer outlet is recessed and never was able to make the clamp tight. I would not fill the spray foam. It's not as fireproof as claimed. Fiberglass insulation. Remove the vapor paper, grab a handful of fiber and crush them into any gap. Foam may be good for air sealing in the stud bay but not around the duct.

· Registered
I am not a pro
825 Posts
I am not a pro.
I was told/taught, dryer venting, all female connections for hard pipe, crimped ends, should be pointed in the direction of the air flow. What the OP has in his last pic, to me, is backward and will catch lint in the connection cavities. You can also see the same, pipe in the wall backward connection.

100%...I dunno if this right....Don

· Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Correct, the male end always goes away from the dryer to avoid ridges to catch lint and impede air flow.

Reactions: Msradell

· In a little over my head
1,688 Posts
I used one of those dryer vent periscopes for a similar situation. Adjustable height. Works great, easy to service and clean. Doesn't accumulate lint. The dryer snugs up close to the wall and holds the periscope without any clamps. (I seem to remember.)

Lighting Material property Rectangle Font Technology

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Notnew2diy...you are correct. My house is crappily built and that transition was existing. There is not way for me to remove, without taking up floor. May have sheetmetal guy custom make a male end slightly smaller to fit that pipe, and transition. Willing to bet that the other end is female and the entire run is backward.

· Registered
I am not a pro
825 Posts
May have sheetmetal guy custom make
DIY.
Hardware stores sell duct. Buy tin snips. Buy a crimper...

I had to re-do all of my duct work in my current home. Bought both tools. I've used the crimper for my water heater duct as well. Have used the tin snips for other sheet metal projects over the years.
In my case, well worth the price....Don.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts