DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dryer isn’t working. I believe I am only getting 120 volts out of my dryer outlet. My multimeter prongs are not long enough to read the outlet, but when I read the voltage on the wires on the back of the dryer, only one hot wire has 120 volts. The other hot wire has nothing. The dryer power cord is brand new. Think I should just change the outlet? Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
15,795 Posts
A normal dryer circuit is dedicated. It has connections at the panel and at the receptacle. This limits where you need to check for poor connections. The dryer cord connections would the the other place to check.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Are you measuring between the two hot conductors? If you measure between one hot and the neutral you will get 120 VAC. You should see 240 VAC between the two hot conductors , Get some new test leads that have long enough prongs to test the actual receptacle.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,678 Posts
Ok, figured it out. It’s a breaker. Not sure how I missed it the first time, but 1 of the breakers isn’t giving any voltage which makes sense.
You should not be using 2 single pole breakers, you need a 2 pole 30 amp.

Reactions: Jim Port

·
Super Moderator
15,795 Posts
GE has a unique bus design that allows both halves of a breaker to connect to the same bus. To catch both legs the breaker needs to go up or down one half space. This can be confirmed if you do not get 240 at the breaker screws.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
You should first check each of the hot screws on the breakers to neutral. If they both show about 120V, then check the voltage between the 2 screws. If it shows 240V, you have a problem farther down the line. If it shows 120V across the 2 screws (and also 120V from each to neutral) then they are on the same leg, and the breakers need to be moved up or down 1 position in the panel.

If one breaker shows something much less than 120V, or zero, then the breaker needs to be replaced. Be sure to reinstall the handle tie, so they operate together.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should first check each of the hot screws on the breakers to neutral. If they both show about 120V, then check the voltage between the 2 screws. If it shows 240V, you have a problem farther down the line. If it shows 120V across the 2 screws (and also 120V from each to neutral) then they are on the same leg, and the breakers need to be moved up or down 1 position in the panel.

If one breaker shows something much less than 120V, or zero, then the breaker needs to be replaced. Be sure to reinstall the handle tie, so they operate together.
Yeah one breaker is at zero

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,678 Posts
I will need to replace with the exact same brand and part number right?
That is a GE 2 pole tandem breaker. It is a unique design and no other breaker will fit there.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts