DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Has anyone ever heard of a laminate floor getting water damage from dryer exhaust?

I have Pergo brand flooring in my kitchen that was installed about 4 years ago. Over the last 18 months or so I have been having gradually worsening water damage showing up as swollen spots, to the point where if I were to fix it now I would have to replace 20%-30% of the planks.

I am absolutely certain there have been no liquid spills of any consequence. Most cleaning is done dry. I have inpected the underside of the floor above the drop ceiling in the basement several times and found no trace of moisture. There is no moisture under the dishwasher or fridge.

Recently I began remodelling the bathroom next to the kitchen, which is directly above the dryer and it's exhaust vent. Upon removing the tile floor, I found I could smell dryer exhaust. Turns out the vent pipe that goes out of the house was split open allowing dryer exhaust into the basement.

The dryer vent pipe is new, having been replaced *roughly* the same time as the floor damage started showing up. This seems like a stretch to me though.

Could the dryer exhaust dump enough humidity into the basement to be absorbed into the floor and cause the floor swell up? None of the floor is directly above the vent, and some of the swollen spots are as far as 20 ft from the dryer vent.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
 

·
Retired Moderator
Joined
·
25,769 Posts
Sadly,Yes the dryer vent problem could cause that damage------It doesn't take much to puff up the Pergo----Rotten luck----Mike---
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top