DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into an old house which I am renting. The clothes dryer i brought in has a four prong plug which does not fit the older style receptacle, which looks like a nema 10-30R made for a three prong plug. I have read in the forums that this old style outlet is unsafe, so my question is about whether or not this is a building code violation in south Carolina and something I should expect my landlord to pay for. Also, how much would an electrician charge to update the outlet, or should I get a three prong plug from the hardware store for $15 and rewire the dryer myself (which I have heard is a fire hazard). Please help me with this open can of worms.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
It is legal to continue using a 3-wire receptacle if it was legal when installed (which it probably was). You can replace the 4-wire cord with a 3-wire. Just make sure to install a bonding strap between the neutral and ground terminals in the dryer. That's extremely important.

If the location is close to the panel and it's an easy run, you might consider installing a new 4-wire circuit instead. It may be relatively cheap and easy to do, depending on the specifics. The 3-wire systems were outlawed for good reason - a loose neutral connection anywhere in the circuit results in the case of the dryer becoming electrified.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.