DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Getting ready to finish my basement and wanted to reroute my gas dryer duct in the process. Right now it straight up and out the rim joist, but it’s halfway below and halfway above the deck and looks dumb.

I figured my 2 options are straight out the cbu wall, below the deck. There’d be about an 6ft space above the vent to the bottom of the deck. The deck is like 10ft off the ground. The only issue I see with this is I think eventually we’re going to enclose the bottom of the deck and water proof it for the patio area that’s under the deck. Would this be an issue with co2 build up or anything under the deck, or given its height is there enough fresh air coming in from around the deck to negate this.

Other option is running it up and over and out the side of the house. This is a 30ft run with 1 90 elbow and 2 45 elbows. My manual for the dryer says the run can be 47 ft with 2 90 elbows.

So I guess longer run, but not under deck or shorter run but it vents under the deck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't fully understand the first 2 paragraphs....sounds like the vent is currently sitting right at the deck flooring level, which makes unclear how it can function properly. But then you mention concern about CO2 if the end cap is moved 6 feet further away, which sounds like an improvement.

If you are considering an addition in the next few years, perhaps the existing vent can be extended under the deck flooring to the other side of the deck? Or whatever setup would best fit your future plans.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll attach some pictures.

So it wouldNt be an addition, and under the deck wouldn’t be fully enclosed. I was planning on doing a water proofing system under the deck, so any rain water would basically run into a system under the deck and into gutters, keeping the patio under the deck dry. All sides of the patio under the deck would still be open.

Let me go take some pictures and I’ll post them.

·
In a little over my head
1,551 Posts
Well, my dryer vent goes up 30", then out the side of the house where no one ever is. And I still have to clean the lint out, from time to time. So, to me, a 30' run with a couple turns sounds like a bad idea. How about one 90 degree out from where it is then straight up, away from the deck? Frame a box around it, so it looks like a little chimney.

I don't think having it exit into the patio would be that bad, depending on how often the dryer runs. I wouldn't want to be out there with a beer, breathing Bounce.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I roofed under my deck with plastic (not fiberglass) corrogated roofing and it dumps into a length of gutter that spills out to the lawn. It makes a dandy dry storage place... I park the rider there and store other low value stuff.

You can surely figure out a way to redirect the dryer vent below the deck and also below your soon to be added watershed system. It may take a small box on the deck to hide it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.